VERY VERY high upload SNR Margin

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
boykunk
Novice
Novice

VERY VERY high upload SNR Margin

Post by boykunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:33 am

I don't know the reason, and maybe someone can clarify this for me as I am new to routers.

have tries search, but don't understand.

I have included a picture.
Attachments
Screen_20090724_192956.jpg
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:29 am

It is the upstream Signal to Noise Ratio Margin, it is measured and reported by the ISPs exchange equipment. There is possibly a standards communication issue, sometimes it means a negative number is incorrectly handled, sometimes a special value is not being interpreted.

In your case you seem to have a very good connection, but a low upstream speed which means your upstream margin should be high. I don't believe the drivers will report more than +31dB, so that may be the issue.

Are you supposed to have a higher upstream connection speed? If so would be worth checking all the telephone wiring and filters because this means there must be a problem.
boykunk
Novice
Novice

Post by boykunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:13 am

mstombs wrote:It is the upstream Signal to Noise Ratio Margin, it is measured and reported by the ISPs exchange equipment. There is possibly a standards communication issue, sometimes it means a negative number is incorrectly handled, sometimes a special value is not being interpreted.

In your case you seem to have a very good connection, but a low upstream speed which means your upstream margin should be high. I don't believe the drivers will report more than +31dB, so that may be the issue.

Are you supposed to have a higher upstream connection speed? If so would be worth checking all the telephone wiring and filters because this means there must be a problem.
thanks for the quick reply, and yes my upload is limited to 128kbps (which is awful)
is there any way which i can maximise my router?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:33 am

What upload speeds are you actually seeing in practice ? and what upload methods are you using ?

Jim
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
boykunk
Novice
Novice

Post by boykunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 am

Shotokan101 wrote:What upload speeds are you actually seeing in practice ? and what upload methods are you using ?

Jim
how should i test it.
because i usually upload files to badongo and mediafire. both of those would 5~10 minutes for a 5MB file.

just added another picture taken from the router's status page.
Attachments
Capture.JPG