How to get rid of old SSID?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
agtabby

How to get rid of old SSID?

Post by agtabby » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:51 am

I have a win8 PC, and have this hooked to centurylink modem and wireless router.

For long time I was too lazy to turn on router security. So I entered http://192.168.0.1/ and got screen for modem. That had wireless security menu, and I changed network name, turned on security, and entered password.

OK - go to wifi device. The SSID is shown, and it does require password, and once password entered it does work.

The problem?

the old ssid, still unsecurred, is present and still works. I tried power-cycling the router, no help.

Any ideas?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: How to get rid of old SSID?

Post by thechief » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:32 am

Go to the router's web interface and delete the ssid, or add security to it.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
agtabby

Post by agtabby » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:43 pm

how do I get to the router web interface?

When I type in the 192.168.0.1 on my browser I get the **modem** control (century link dsl).

This does have menu for wireless security, and I was able to make ssid with desired name and security. But instead of replacing existing unsecured ssid it only adds a new one. Using model web interface I can't see the old ssid, only new one.

From a wifi device I see two ssid's, one I want and one I don't want. But from modem web interface I can only see one.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Well, what is the IP address of the router? If it is the same as that of the modem, then that is not going to work - you would have to connect to the router directly with an ethernet cable from a PC that has no wireless (or with the wireless disabled). After that, the first thing to do is to give the router a different static IP address from the modem.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.