Recommendations for replacing router please

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
KevinR
Regular
Regular

Recommendations for replacing router please

Post by KevinR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm in the UK and have been rocking RouterTech on Dlink DSL-g604t hardware for a number of years. The current device is in the final throws of capacitor death, so its probably time to replace it. (A spare is proving resistant to unbricking).

Have the team and members any preference on hardware?

I'm trying to weigh up the upgrade to N or even AC wireless, both of which would take me away from RouterTech. :( if I stick with it which of the compatibles is a good buy in the uk at the moment?

On paper I like the Asus routers, but there are a lot of complaints about the VDSL interface; so many its hard to work out if the ADSL mode is ok. The independent Merlin firmware for these has only addressed the RT- cable/fibre routers.

Thanks.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Recommendations for replacing router please

Post by thechief » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:45 pm

I have a couple of Linksys WAG200G routers, which seem to be pretty well made. Officially, they are not supported by RouterTech - but they can be made to run RouterTech (see firmware-faq/#wag200g). You can usually get a decent one on ebay. Safecom's SWART2-54125 can also be got on ebay for dirt cheap.

The time may eventually come to ditch AR7 routers, except perhaps for use as bog-standard wireless access points (which still enables you to use WDS with other RT devices). If moving to a new platform, I would strongly recommend devices that have strong 3rd party firmware supported (particularly DDWrt and/or Tomato). I would hate to be completely stuck with manufacturer firmwares ...
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Recommendations for replacing router please

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:21 pm

I have been using an ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router, since going onto fibre early this year. I can certainly recommend the hardware. On day 2 of owning the router I Upgraded to Merlin’s firmware, and have never looked back, he really gives great support, and does a really good job at releasing his firmware along side Asus firmware’s as they are released. He seems to have a good working relationship with Asus; in fact some of his bug fixes have gone into Asus stock firmware.

I can not comment on their ADSL routers I’m afraid.

If you have not already found it this is where most of the talk about Asus and Merlin's and DDWrt firmwares are found.

www.smallnetbuilder.com
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!