ADSL2MUE, unable to get RUC working?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
vibe666
Novice
Novice

ADSL2MUE, unable to get RUC working?

Post by vibe666 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:41 am

I've been trying to upgrade my ADSL2MUE upgraded to use RT v2.97, but I can't get the RUC to connect to it.

I've changed the username & password from the default, but I'm not sure if this affects the root login or not? I've tried both root/Admin and my current user/pass, but both give the following error.

00 AM:000 Running script
00 AM:000 Opening connection
01 AM:023 Winsock Control Error - 10061 : Connection refused.
09 AM:658 Closed connection.
Aborted by user.

I also only seem to be able to connect intermittently to it via the webUI, and anything beyond the main page just freezes it up. a telnet session gives connection refused and ssh just hangs and does nothing, but I'm unsure of this is an issue with the MUE, or something to do with the static route from my router (which is present).

It's currently on the v4.22EU Linksys fw with IP 192.168.0.5, connected in bridge mode to a Linksys E3000 on 192.168.1.1 (running Tomato Firmware v1.28.7507 MIPSR2Toastman-RT K26) which handles the PPPoE connection to my ISP and is running fine and has been for years.

The MUE is jamming up quite regularly (mostly I imagine due to torrents), so I figured the RT FW might be able to help.

I was actually in this exact same situation about 7 years ago, but never got RT installed on the MUE and shortly afterwards ended up getting cable broadband, and then FTTH after that and the MUE was shelved.

Since then I've moved countries and I'm back to a pretty poor 5Mbps/500Kbps ADSL2+ and using the MUE with the E3000, but I know the E3000 isn't the issue as it was flying along with very heavy torrenting 24/7 on a 100Mbps/10Mbps FTTH connection and on my cable broadband before that, and I honestly never even noticed when torrents were running in the background and I don't think I ever had to reboot it at all.

Anyway, I'm convinced that installing RT 2.97 onto the MUE will alleviate my current problems if I can actually get it installed on the thing.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it just buggered?

I've attached a screenshot of the RUC config in case i'm just doing something wrong, but I don't think so?
ruc.jpg
ruc.jpg (75.89 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
vibe666
Novice
Novice

Re: ADSL2MUE, unable to get RUC working?

Post by vibe666 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 pm

scratch that, I just decided "f**k it" and found someone using an older version of the fw and then did the 10+10+10 second hard reset (I just googled it, and apparently linksys have advised it previously for someone, where you hold the reset button in for 10 seconds and then power it off for 10 seconds (still holding the pin in) and then hold it for 10 more whilst it boots), downloaded the v2.97 of the same fw I'd seen working (RouterTech_3.6.0D_20120130_2.97_AR7RD-1Port_psbl-lite-dsp70_firmware.upgrade.img in case anyone reading this down the line was wondering) and flashed it from the within the linksys webUI like any regular fw.

i still had some issues with the webUI not loading properly with the old linksys v4.22EU fw even after the hard reset, but it's been fine since i got the RT v2.97 on it, so I'm happy. :)

took a while to get the ADSL config working as I'm in Australia and there weren't any pre-configured settings for my ISP, but I just pulled them from an old modem and it's working now, so happy days. :)

here's how it's set, in case anyone else comes across this thread. :)
iinet wan config.jpg
i'm not sure if it's the "optimal" config, but it's working. also, iinet don't use any authentication on their ADSL, so it connects fine without it being set, which is handy as I don't know the password anyway. :D

Going to try and bridge it to my router next, just to save on a bit of NAT'ery, so I'll let you know how that goes.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:20 pm

Well done! The 2MUE of distant memory has been resurrected :-)
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
vibe666
Novice
Novice

Post by vibe666 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:06 am

yep, from all the way back in 2007 & 2008. :)

can't get bridge mode working though for some reason, I figured it should be the same as with the linksys fw, just get it working in PPPoE mode, then change it to bridge mode and it worked fine, but with the RT fw it isn't working.

The weird thing is, the lights on the MUE show it connected, and if I don't reboot the MUE after changing the settings and then change my E3000 to PPPoE mode, it picks up a WAN IP etc. okay on the E3000, I just don't have net access and ping connectivity to the MUE is decidedly spotty at best.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:46 pm

You need special routing to be able to connect to the modem when in pppoe full bridge mode, Tomato has a checkbox to "route modem ip" to allow this. Make sure you use a different lan ip range on router to modem, i.e. 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x, and use same or lower MTU/MRU in router than that you have used in modem (1400)
vibe666
Novice
Novice

Post by vibe666 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 pm

thanks for that, I had most of those bits sorted already (believe it or not, I remember you telling me the same thing about 7 years ago! :D ) but it seems like the MTU/MRU might have been the issue. the default in tomato is 1492, but on the RT FW it's 1400 (although the setting disappears when you change it to bridge mode). changing it to 1400 in tomato PPPoE seems to have sorted it now, although I didn't try rebooting the MUE yet, just in case it goes titsup as it's getting late and I really want to go to bed. :)

I seemed to be getting regular disconnect/reconnects every 5-10 minutes with the MUE using PPPoE today, but not with tomato doing it so far, so hopefully that's sorted too.

I was secretly hoping that i'd suddenly get 20Mbps out of it, but alas still only 5-6Mbps down and always less than 1Mbps up, which is heartbreaking coming from the 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up FTTH I left back in Ireland before I came to Australia.

Still, we do have the best weather here most of the time even if the internet is really bad. :)