NetGear R7000 Nighthawk issues

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
kkwhizz

NetGear R7000 Nighthawk issues

Post by kkwhizz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:32 am

Hi everyone,

I really need some help/ guidance regarding routers.

I currently own the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router. It's a recent purchase, and since day 1 it's given me grief. Constant WiFi issues.
I've spent hours online with tech support and reading blogs trying to find a solution.

Before I go and invest in the D-Link AC3200 Ultra WiFi Router (DIR-890L/R), I'm just wondering if you have anything tips/tricks I can try to get a solid stable WiFi connection. I have a 100mb line. After a factory reset I get full speed via wifi of 100MB download and 20MB upload. I'll game on my ps4 for an hour or so (which is wired to the router) Then my WiFi speeds plummet to 15Mb Download and 1MB Upload. It continues like this until I do a factory reset of the router or don't use the internet for 8 hours.

I've tried changing the channels, DNS, MTU settings, downgrading the firmware, upgrading firmware, altering threshold values etc Nothing seems to work. Netgear have given up and told me they will replace the router. However, since I live in the UAE, they don't replace it. I simply get an e-mail telling me to go back to the shop and ask them to replace it.

I was so excited to get this router. When it works.. it's fantastic, but I seem to spend more time resetting it than enjoying it.

If you can't help..Would you recommend I get rid of this and buy the D-Link?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: NetGear R7000 Nighthawk issues

Post by mstombs » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 pm

I believe you have a choice of 3rd party firmware for that router, such as Tomato or dd-wrt, it is supposed to be one of the best/fastest available right now, but I don't have direct experience.

But back to basics first - are you leaving the Wifi Channel at default or 'auto'? There's a number of mobile/laptop apps that let you scan your airways and choose the best quiet channel, and fix it manually.

Also make sure you set a strong wpa2 password to make sure your neighbours aren't also using your internet connection.