Router Repair Tool

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Router Repair Tool

Post by Neo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:00 pm

This utility can:
  • Repair/restore your router's environment.
  • Un-brick your router.
  • Upgrade your router's firmware.
  • Backup your router's environment and config.
Download v1.0.8
v1.0.8 is able to run PCTool scripts which are in Unix file format.

Download v1.0.7
v1.0.7 has many minor changes and the ability to run user defined scripts at the bootloader.

Download v1.0.5

The Router Repair Tool requires VB Runtime Files installed on your system.

Please read the guide that is included with the tool before you try to use the utility.

Please note that there may be bugs etc that have not been discovered yet and there are no guarantees that all features will work on all systems/routers.

Known 'bugs':
  • Un-bricking / firmware flashing does not work on some wireless Adam2 based routers (such as the Adam2 SAR-600EW). All other features such as reading environment should still work on these routers.
More info
Last edited by Neo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
MHAQS
Regular
Regular

Post by MHAQS » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:23 am

Being one of the people who were eagerly waiting for this tool. I downloaded it last night and I have some feedback for you.

The two most important things I noticed at first glance:
- The Tool appears to be missing the "defragenv" command that I was expecting to be there, since it loads the bootloader.
- It somehow does not know at times that "it is" connected to the bootloader and won't execute some commands.

I also understand that it is a new software and I am not complaining :). People with Dlink Routers are already at a disadvantage, because according to my conversations with thechief, the Dlink Routers are factory faulty at times (no flaming please, i've had my experiences), so there is less we can do here with the tool or the MTD3 flash option.

- The "Connect to bootloader via telnet" option fails constantly. I tried doing the same with PcTool and it connected without a problem. Maybe there's a timing issue or something hindering the software? I did unblock it on my firewalls.

I will keep using the software and will let you know more about my findings.

MHAQS
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
MHAQS wrote:- The Tool appears to be missing the "defragenv" command that I was expecting to be there, since it loads the bootloader.
- It somehow does not know at times that "it is" connected to the bootloader and won't execute some commands.
Well the 'defragenv' command name is specific to the serial console :) If you use the "Repair MTD3" button (see the guide for more information) to repair your environment, this can do a similar thing and you can even sort the variables alphabetically ;)
MHAQS wrote:- The "Connect to bootloader via telnet" option fails constantly. I tried doing the same with PcTool and it connected without a problem. Maybe there's a timing issue or something hindering the software? I did unblock it on my firewalls.
What does the firewall test show? The "Connect to bootloader via telnet" is only valid if your router is not bricked, you have telnet access and you are not already at the bootloader. If you are already at the bootloader (if PCTool is able to connect then you should be) then you can see if you are connected by trying something like the "Bootloader > Read environment" menu option.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:25 pm

MHAQS wrote:according to my conversations with thechief, the Dlink Routers are factory faulty at times
Hmmm ... I don't think I quite said that. What I have said (and have said in the open forum) is that some DLink routers seem to suffer excessively from a fragmented bootloader environment. Many of the problems reported here with firmware upgrades can be linked directly to this. And it points to possible issues with how the flash chips are initially written to. Defragment the environment, and most of these problems will disappear instantly.

As far as defragmentation is concerned, I believe that is what the RRT tries to do - and it doesn't require you to start with a clean environment (Neo can correct me if I am mistaken).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
MHAQS
Regular
Regular

Post by MHAQS » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:54 pm

thechief wrote:
MHAQS wrote:according to my conversations with thechief, the Dlink Routers are factory faulty at times
Hmmm ... I don't think I quite said that. What I have said (and have said in the open forum) is that some DLink routers seem to suffer excessively from a fragmented bootloader environment. Many of the problems reported here with firmware upgrades can be linked directly to this. And it points to possible issues with how the flash chips are initially written to. Defragment the environment, and most of these problems will disappear instantly.

As far as defragmentation is concerned, I believe that is what the RRT tries to do - and it doesn't require you to start with a clean environment (Neo can correct me if I am mistaken).
Don't take my sentence the wrong way :?, thechief . I did not say it was you who said that the router flashes can be faulty. I meant to say that it was I who concluded from our conversations that they can be faulty from factory.

Neo, I understand what you suggested but like I stated above, if one is not able to get a good mtd3 dump from the start, how would one go with the repair mtd3 option? It asks for a good mtd3 file, right? Also, I was of the view that one can run the defragenv command on the bootloader without a serial console as well using PCTool.

But I have been messing around with the tool since then and it has yet to give me an error. I'll see if I can manage to get a good copy of a DSL2640T mtd3 and try the repair using this tool. I will post my results.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:45 pm

MHAQS wrote:Neo, I understand what you suggested but like I stated above, if one is not able to get a good mtd3 dump from the start, how would one go with the repair mtd3 option? It asks for a good mtd3 file, right?
If you have a suitable/good env file, you could try using any MTD3 file of the correct size, but the config might not be correct. Once you 'repaired' the MTD3, you could then reset the router to defaults - that should load the default config over a potentially messed up one ;)

But generally, the idea is to back up the MTD3 with the RRT before you need to use it to repair the router ;)
MHAQS wrote:Also, I was of the view that one can run the defragenv command on the bootloader without a serial console as well using PCTool.
Well, I tried to use the command in the RRT via the bootloader connection but it didn't appear to be supported. If you know any different, please post details :) In any case, the RRT does the same job, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
MHAQS wrote:But I have been messing around with the tool since then and it has yet to give me an error. I'll see if I can manage to get a good copy of a DSL2640T mtd3 and try the repair using this tool. I will post my results.
OK, thanks ;) If you can't find a good mtd3 file, then I could try modifying the RRT to create a dummy mtd3 file that would do the job (the router would need to be reset to defaults as explained above).
stuboy
Novice
Novice

Brilliant

Post by stuboy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:51 pm

I sadly! had occasion to use your new de bricker on one of the installed routers I have.
I tried PCtool both versions and neither could get a connection. Your tool connected but when I tried to "de brick" the bottom bar always gets stuck at 33% I tried several times switching the router off and on. Your program always got a connection but the router didn't take any notice.
Eventually I switched on and a few seconds later went through the de brick wizard again and it sprang into life the lower bar still showed 33% but the upper dark green bar took about a minute and finished loading.
I then waited a couple of mins, switched off router and restarted with my finger on reset for 30 secs. Waited again for a couple of mins and then logged in, hey presto the latest 2.8 firmware was up and running.
Thanks again Neo you saved my bacon!
Regards
Stuboy
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback, stuboy :) I'm glad you were able to de-brick your router ;)
RayneR
Regular
Regular

Post by RayneR » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:35 am

Hi guys , this program is awsome , i had same problem like the user above said , in the 33% is stuck when i uploaded the firmware (single image firmeware) i waited for the program complete de firmware transmission and got stuck in 33% on the overall progression .. i just pressed the reset button on the router and nothing happened then i restarted the router and waited like 10 seconds and tryed to reset it again and in the program said that the router was rebooted and guess what IT WORKED !!!
eua
Novice
Novice

Post by eua » Tue May 19, 2009 12:28 pm

MTD3 Firmware update generates
Run-time error '53' : File not found
I installed VBRun60 but it doesn't help.
Any ideas?
slux

Post by slux » Thu May 21, 2009 3:23 am

Trying to use an MTD3 I backed up with RRT right after just gets me an error message. Peeking inside the RRT-backed up MTD3 file and comparing with one generated with RUC (and which RRT accepts) it seems like the file was truncated. Can't get RRT to repair MTD3 on my DSL-G624T though even with the intact file.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 21, 2009 8:54 am

eua wrote:MTD3 Firmware update generates
Run-time error '53' : File not found
I installed VBRun60 but it doesn't help.
Any ideas?
Which router model? What do you mean by "MTD3 firmware update"? Can you explain in more detail exactly the steps you took? Did you use the wizard? Are you able to view the advanced log - if so what does it say?
slux wrote:Trying to use an MTD3 I backed up with RRT right after just gets me an error message.
What was the exact error message? Are you trying this over a wired or wireless connection? Have you rebooted the router since you used the RUC? What does the advanced log say when you try to repair MTD3?
eua
Novice
Novice

Post by eua » Thu May 21, 2009 5:45 pm

I used Wired connection INCA IM-204W.
I mean with "MTD3 Fw update", Deftag tab, Repair MTD button. (With skip reboot in bootloader to option checked)

Wizard works. I think it make same think. But In defrag tab, Repaır MTD3 not working well. Raise error as I mentioned.

With wizard I unbricked router. Now it works.

THankS
slux

Post by slux » Fri May 22, 2009 1:13 am

Neo wrote: What was the exact error message? Are you trying this over a wired or wireless connection? Have you rebooted the router since you used the RUC? What does the advanced log say when you try to repair MTD3?
The error was the MTD3 file is not valid. I was using a wired connection. At least the flashing part may be disturbed by the fact that Adam listens on 5.8.8.8 instead of the router management ip though.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri May 22, 2009 12:59 pm

You should set your Adam2 "my_ipaddress" variable to 192.168.1.1.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.