is it possible to script a regular reboot on an ADSL2MUE?

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
vibe666
Novice
Novice

is it possible to script a regular reboot on an ADSL2MUE?

Post by vibe666 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi, I've been lurking here for a little while having a bit of a poke around and admiring your work (and very nice it is too:)) and although I've seena couple of old threads that almost touch on my problems, nothing seems to hit the nail on the head for me.

I have an ADSL2MUE bridged to my WRT54GS running the thibor firmware but every week or two the MUE jams up, requiring a hard reboot.

the WRT is still accessible from it's config page, but it's not able to complete a connection (PPPoE) to my ISP.

part of my dilemma is that the MUE is to all intents and purposes invisible to me whilst bridged to the WRT, so even when it's working I can't get to it without connecting directly to it via ethernet with a static IP etc.

it's currently running the stock firmware, although i was tempted ot move to the aussie one floating around till i came across your site and now i'm wondering if there might be another way around it.

is it possible to use the WRT to send a reboot command to the MUE whilst bridged, or can the RT firmware on the MUE schedule a reboot of itself via a script of some sort?

sorry if any of this sounds stupid, but when it comes to this sort of thing I'd very much class myself as 'knowing just enough to be dangerous'. :D

any help would be greatly appreciated, and if I manage to kill it, I might well send it on to you for experimental purposes. thibor already has 2 of my old routers. ;)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi vibe666 welcome to RouterTech.

On the RT firmware you can most certainly schedule a reboot of the router. You can enter a cron job to run the restart command at the interval you want. Or to be more accurate (my logic will need checking here) you can add the autoexec.sh script to the environment using setenv so that it adds the cron job after each reboot. I've got to admit the exact syntax would take some playing with for me :oops:

The option would/should be there for you if you want to try the RT firmware.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:17 pm

I'd say give it a go - but what linksys firmware are you using? Beta 4.22 is available from linksys or over at linksysinfo.org, maybe that would assist the problem - and is the version I upgraded to RT from!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:48 am

When you say bridged - you don't mean wirelessly do you ? - if so the RT f/w doesn't yet support wireless bridging......
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:36 am

Shotokan101 wrote:When you say bridged - you don't mean wirelessly do you ? - if so the RT f/w doesn't yet support wireless bridging......
No the OP has a wireless router - and a separate modem (in same blue plastic box). But the modem is really a router as well.
vibe666
Novice
Novice

Post by vibe666 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:14 am

yep, that's it. I have the following set-up:

[ADSL2MUE] (bridge mode)
/
\ - ethernet cable
/
[WRT54GS v4] (PPPoE, DHCP server, QoS, WDS etc.) with thibor15c firmware
'
' - Wireless WDS connection
'
[WRT54GS v4] thibor15c (wired to xbox & printer)
'
' - Wireless WDS connection
'
[WRT54GS v6] DD-WRT Micro (wired to Linux server for streaming media)

I also have a desktop, laptop and Nokia N80 connected wirelessly as well. :)

If I use the routertech firmware, would I be better off using that to manage DHCP or sticking with thibor15c on my main GS? I was also thinking of moving to the tomato firmware maybe as I've heard it's good, or maybe even hanging around for a bit till OpenWRT/X-WRT is 100% up and running for my models of routers (aside from the v6 obviously, which I think I'm pretty much screwed for, but it was free so meh).

P.S. sorry for all the dumb questions. :)
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 am

mstombs wrote:
Shotokan101 wrote:When you say bridged - you don't mean wirelessly do you ? - if so the RT f/w doesn't yet support wireless bridging......
No the OP has a wireless router - and a separate modem (in same blue plastic box). But the modem is really a router as well.
Hmmm... according to the latest post OP is in fac t heavily dependant on WDS on all the WRT54GS routers so current RT F/W would not be an option - other than on the ADSL2MUE...... :?
Jim

vibe666
Novice
Novice

Post by vibe666 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:29 am

i wasn't really planning on using the RT firmware on the other routers anyway.

tbh WDS has been a big pain for me, I'm contemplating just wiring the house with cat5e and be done with it, but i think the reality of it will be much more of a headache than i see it in my mind, so for now at least WDS is my only option given that I have 4 devices that are reliant on a wired connection to one router or another.

forgot to mention another xbox connected via a nice long ethernet cable from the main router.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:35 am

vibe666 wrote:i wasn't really planning on using the RT firmware on the other routers anyway.

tbh WDS has been a big pain for me, I'm contemplating just wiring the house with cat5e and be done with it, but i think the reality of it will be much more of a headache than i see it in my mind, so for now at least WDS is my only option given that I have 4 devices that are reliant on a wired connection to one router or another.

forgot to mention another xbox connected via a nice long ethernet cable from the main router.
Might be worth looking at the "ethernet over mains" adaptors since they seem to be getting a bit cheaper these days - unless of course you "live" to crawl around under floors and knock holes in walls etc.... :lol:
Jim

mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:38 pm

I haven't used PPPOE or WDS on the WRT54GS so I can't help you there. I only use wireless for one fairly close PC plus roaming laptops, even used 15m of external telephone cable to get a wired connection across house. (non-standard - but it will work until hit by lightning!)

I have noticed that my WRT54GS-Thibor doesn't reconnect if I swap the WAN connection from Cable to ADSL so it may have an issue there. I think my trouble is that it keeps a long dhcp lease from cable so doesn't ask for a new IP address when the modem changes. There may be a common theme here, if the ADSL glitches WRTGS-Thibor doesn't reconnect.

As far as I know you should be able to access the ADSL2MUE config while in Bridge mode, you may need to add a secondary IP address to Thibor startup (I used to do this to a cable modem)
vibe666
Novice
Novice

Post by vibe666 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:00 pm

i did try setting the ip manually on the MUE ionce i had the WRT connected, but I wasn't able to access it at all. I'm not exactly sure how the MUE talks to the WRT in bridge mode, but I don't think it's via the conventional IP to IP way because since I set them up, I've added another 2 routers via WDS to the LAN and one of them is using the IP that I manually set on the MUE originally and everything is still working on all parts of the network, hard wired or otherwise.

I know WDS uses the MAC addresses to link them altogehter, but I don't know exactly how it all works, as I think I said before, I class my knowledge level as 'just enough to be dangerous'. :)
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Aha,

If your modem private address is in the same range as the LAN side of your router, your router will not attempt to pass it through to the modem on the WAN.

If you want to make this work you should set the modem to a LAN side IP address of say 192.168.100.2 (before bridging) and then you may have to assign a secondary IP on the WAN side of the router using the following command (via telnet, the web interface run command and if it works put it in the router start-up script)

ifconfig vlan1:0 192.168.100.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

[Note this may not be needed - it was for me in past for an NTL cable modem]

Then you should be able to access the modem on http://192.168.100.1 from your PC on your LAN with an IP address 192.168.1.xxx
vibe666
Novice
Novice

Post by vibe666 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 pm

hey that's great, but (if it's not going to be too technical for me to understand) why does the modem need to be on a different subnet to communicate with it?

is local communication on my main subnet restricted to the LAN side of the router? if so would this normally be the case on most/all network set ups?

sorry, see I'm like a dog with a bone once i get going. :)

but i do like to know what's going on before I start things. there's no such thing as too much preparation or too much prior knowledge with these things. i've had 2 dead routers in the past teach me that. :D

gonna try the routertech upgrade this weekend sometime and see how it goes. wish me luck. :)
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:01 pm

why does the modem need to be on a different subnet to communicate with it?
Without complicating things with special routes and tunnels that can be created:-

A router isolates traffic on its LAN side, and only passes things through to its WAN side when it thinks it needs to. This is good for security/ efficiency you don't want all your LAN traffic broadcast onto the internet!

In IPV4 the network segment consists of all devices whose IP address only differ by the 0's in the mask - ie the last 3 digits when mask is 255.255.255.0. For more formal defs start here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork

I will try the new RT2.2 later on my ADSL2MUE - if you want to wait I'll report back when I have done this.

Edit seems to work OK, DSL and Internet LEDs now work correctly (with ADSL2MUE env var set) - but Red Power LED still. :(
vibe666
Novice
Novice

Post by vibe666 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:24 am

i think i can live with that, thanks for the info, i'll see if i have time to get it sorted today and let you know. :)