winMTR question

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
sandro2
Novice
Novice

winMTR question

Post by sandro2 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:50 pm

Hi.

I have been asked by my voip provider (voipfone) to run the above programme and would like some help to understand results. Please see attached results.

My voip provider has asked me to dowload winMTR and put in a host address. when the test is run it hops over 9 jumps, Ips or servers. I get zero loss an all jumps except for one seen on jump no. 4.

Could someone please explain whether this is a problem with my hardware or somewhere between my premises and the end server. Any suggestions or comments on how to resolve this wil be appreciated.
Attachments
Test.JPG
(52.42 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:29 pm

A quick look shows that the 24% loss is occurring on one of your ISP servers (easynet). So the finger of blame seems to be pointing at your ISP - perhaps they have some throttling or limiting/restriction on your connection? Also ISPs might accidentally treat VOIP data the same as P2P data (especially if it's encrypted).

Have you contacted your ISP and asked them about the problems you have been experiencing? Perhaps they have a forum (I haven't looked) where other customers may be experiencing the same problems?

WinMTR doesn't produce VOIP data, so it's possible that something might be mis-configured regarding VOIP on your system, but there's definitely a problem with one of your ISPs servers.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
sandro2
Novice
Novice

Post by sandro2 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi Neo,

Even with my limited knowledge I thought similar to the contents of your first paragraph. I'll ask if they are limiting or throttling in any way.

I have emailed my isp and they say that they have carried out tests and find no problem, they say that my attenuation is a bit high and some data loss may occur in the long term. But this is certainlynot long term as far as I can see.

I emailed them back to confirm if they received the results I posted hear in my earlier post as it seems obvious that the error is occuring on their equipment to final destination.

If I get any further info i'll post back.