X-Lite/Netgear TA612V and Sipgate

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:59 pm

The MAC doesn't seem to matter once setup, I changed my 3com back to default and it worked perfectly.

I have now upgraded my Netgear to the open version from Sipgate, took about 5 minutes for router to complete download of firmware (only indication was the Ethernet lamp flashing fast with nothing else happening on network), the router rebooted and was up and running in a minute or so with line 1 pre configured with my account settings by Sipgate.

I then manually entered my second line settings and rebooted router and I am back up and running with both lines. I am very impressed with Sipgate, not many companies would allow you to easily replace locked firmware with open firmware.

My settings are :-
[/img]
Attachments
Capture1.gif
(7.62 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Sipgate are good for many reasons, my main one was them giving you a PTSN number without having to give them a penny. Its great for setting up lines that you only intend to take incoming calls on!
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks for that screeny Techsolver, without showing your personal accounts settings, could you get a screeny of the bottom of the page, or just write them out for me. For example the expiry times and also if the DNS is set at the bottom of the page.

I still can't seem to get the d*mn thing to connect :evil: :twisted: Which MAC address are you using to set the TA612V in the DMZ ??

Is there anything special in the account settings? Like '@sipgate.co.uk' after the account number or your 'Display Name' or 'Telephone Number' is actually your account number again... :?

Thanks again.

Edit: I think I may know where im going wrong!? :oops: I think I have the account details messed up. In 'Username' and 'Password' are you using your sipgate username and password, or the 'SIP-ID' and 'SIP-Password'?? I need to know this layout I think :oops:
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:43 pm

SUCCESS :D YAY :rofl: :bounce: :thumb: :peace:

I put the telephone number in, instead of the SIP-ID twice.... I assume this is the same as Auth-ID...

Anycase.... now to refining my port forwarding :D **OHH HAPPY DAYS**
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Telephone number and user name are the same and are the Sipgate number not the full phone number.

Password is not your logon password for Sipgate, it is the one they give you.

I found the best way of getting the settings is look at the Sipgate help for X-Lite, it actually fills in all the correct values including numbers and passwords on the demo screens, from this you can transpose the settings.

Glad you are now working!!! I have included a screen shot of settings, not done anything with these as I assume they are what Sipgate set along with my account info in the firmware.

pm your number and I will give you a call if you like.
Attachments
Capture2.gif
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:56 pm

Well it's been working since I posted earlier... Seems it was just my own skool boi errors which was the problem.

Thank you very much for your help. I hope I helped you equally as much.

PS If you can access the /set_prov.htm page... The level 2 password is the last 8 digits of the RC4 Key :D
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:23 pm

Got the password, what is the user name for level2 ?
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:31 pm

Techsolver wrote:Got the password, what is the user name for level2 ?
The username is admin; only the passwords are different.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:17 am

Got it, hadn't scrolled to right of the box, so had the wrong letters for password :)
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:46 pm

Well I have been using my TA612V over the Christmas period and all is well; only small niggle is; sometimes after long periods of inactivity, it wont register/connect with incoming calls, but as far as I've worked out if you ring out, it starts working again when you get an incoming call.

So I'm guessing this is down to a keep-alive problem.

I don't have the TA612V in the DMZ; with my SWAMR (RTv2.1) I have the following ports open (other than said Keep-Alive):

Code: Select all

Prot | Start | Finish | Map
UDP | 5004 | 5005 | 5004
UDP | 5060 | 5061 | 5060
UDP | 10000 | 10000 | 10000
UDP | 8000 | 8019 | 8000
BOTH | 3478 | 3478 | 3478
(Sorry for poor formatting)

I beleive that the Keep-Alive ports for sipgate is UDP 1000 - 1300, but I will look into it.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:47 pm

Strangely; I have just been playing with my friends Smoothwall (Linux firewall distro) using a USB Thomson Speedtouch modem and the TA612V works behind it.

There is NO MAC cloning; it's not in the DMZ... Just the ports I have listed before!!

I think this has something to do with the Keep-Alive ports UDP 1000-1300, it seems to of also cured my problem with incoming calls, and his router sprang to life after mapping these ports on the Smoothwall... I think I've cracked it.

When I get home I shall break another TA out of its box, and attempt to set it up behind an existing router, without asking sipgate for the L2 password.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:01 am

Just a small post to say that I have successfully set up two more TA612V without getting the L2 password from sipgate. No MAC cloning was needed, just make sure that the TFTP UDP 69 port is forwarded to the TA612V, and be VERY VERY patient :D

All the ports I have posted before are the only ones you need to have forwarded. Although for some reason, I have a small problem regarding the incoming calls after a long period of inactivity; but the KCorp KLS-5810 and the Smoothwall distro using the Thomson Speedtouch USB modem works with no problems. It's always my setup which doesn't want to play ball :lol:

Does anyone know if/when the TA612V refreshes it's connection with sipgate? I have turned on the STUN server to stun.sipgate.net:10000, with a 30 min timeout, and also left the default 'registration timeout' to 3600 secs (1hr); this doesnt seem to make any difference :?
jimbaggins

Post by jimbaggins » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:14 pm

I have a Netgear TA612v behind a 3com Officeconnect wireless adsl router and I just can't seem to get the thing running. I have followed the instructions here and no joy. I got a ring tone at one point, though when I went to the sipgate site to register the 555 minutes, it said to reboot and wait.

That was 5 hours ago? Still nothing and no ring tone since. The amber flashing number 1 phone light is still flashing and no green tick.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh and by the way, whichever IP address I type into my browser, (I have fixed on 192.168.1.6, I think), I can't seem to access the TA612v settings pages.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:55 pm

jimbaggins wrote:I have a Netgear TA612v behind a 3com Officeconnect wireless adsl router and I just can't seem to get the thing running. I have followed the instructions here and no joy. I got a ring tone at one point, though when I went to the sipgate site to register the 555 minutes, it said to reboot and wait.

That was 5 hours ago? Still nothing and no ring tone since. The amber flashing number 1 phone light is still flashing and no green tick.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh and by the way, whichever IP address I type into my browser, (I have fixed on 192.168.1.6, I think), I can't seem to access the TA612v settings pages.
As stated before, the only time the router will check/download settings or firmware is when it powers up. The flash amber light means that it has failed to register with sipgate. The amber tick does not turn green, it only flashes amber for awhile after power up.

It will be best to start from the beginning; plug the TA612V router into your network via the 'Ethernet' port; you will need to manually set your computer IP address to the 192.168.61.2-254 range (192.168.61.1 is the TA612V).

Access the TA612V, enter login details and then under Advanced goto 'Remote Management', enable it, enter your existing IP range (Use the range NOT the single IP); you can either leave the port as 38080, or you can change it accordingly (although you cannot use anything lower than port 1023).

Put your computer network settings back to how they were, unplug the power and network from the TA612V and put it back into the 'Internet' port and then the power. You should now be able to access the TA612V via the remote management port you set up.

I assume by the flashing amber light that you have successfully downloaded your sipgate account settings; have you tried putting the TA612V into the DMZ of the 3Com to test its connection??

Do you have the sipgate locked firmware or the open firmware??
jimbaggins

Post by jimbaggins » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:00 pm

"You should now be able to access the TA612V via the remote management port you set up."

On what IP address?