how to lower dsl connect speed?

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
xbipin
Regular
Regular

how to lower dsl connect speed?

Post by xbipin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:34 am

actually my isp had set a connect speed of down to 2mb and up to 256kb and my line used to be stable on those speeds and i can keep the router running for weeks without having to reboot it but recently my isp introduced some new packages and they increased the connect speed to 6mb down and 1mb up and me being on a lower package face problems as the line isnt holding up and the dsl carrier goes down every 2-3hours but i found out that u can actually reduce the connect speed to make the line more stable but i have no clue how to do that on the routertech firmware, what i found were these commands for some other brand of routers

Code: Select all

set int wan0 rate down 1024
set int wan0 rate up 256
write
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:31 am

They look like CISCO commands!

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be equivalent for the Ti AR7 chipset, which always seems to connect as fast as it can given the ISP supplied noise margin. The only way to change this is to request your ISP to increase your target noise margin from typically 6dB to 9,12,15 for example. Later ATM/DSP drivers than currently used by RT2.3 do have a switch to add 3dB more margin - but that's not yet available to you.

You could try to force the modem connection method to G.Lite mode, if your ISP allows it - it is limited to 1.5Mbps I recall.
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:36 pm

i tried glite but doesnt connect as only gdmt is supported so i asked the isp to lower the sync rate and they changed it from a 6mb profile to 2mb profile and also changed the CRC from interleaved to fast path and the line is more stable now but the received CRC values still increase over time but not as much as compared to the higher connection rate. SNR values are now higher and attenuation has gone lower.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Hope you are sorted, I believe interleaved is more robust with respect to errors than fast-path - but adds latency which gamer's hate! I'm curious attenuation changes - can only guess its an average over used frequency bands - and you now don't need the higher frequency which have more attenuation.