X-Lite/Netgear TA612V and Sipgate

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

X-Lite/Netgear TA612V and Sipgate

Post by studioeng » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:20 pm

I have recently signed up to sipgate; I have installed X-Lite on my computer at home, and it takes alittle while to register and also when I try to make an outgoing call, it seems to take quite awhile before it connects; yet incoming calls are pretty much instant. I have installed X-Lite at work with exactly the same settings and it works perfectly...

I do not have any ports forwarded at work for SIP/RTP, I haven't even touched the main router. Yet at home with my SWAMR it takes ages to register and dial out.

I have a 'few' Netgear TA612V Broadband Voice Adaptors coming soon, but if I'm getting problems with a softphone, no doubt the router won't fare much better.

Anyone help me on this one? I've tried to search around on Google, but nothing I find can really answer my problem.
Last edited by studioeng on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:34 pm

The Netgear Sipgate routers are great, I have bought three recently from Staples who have them on special offer at £19.99

They are working really well for me, just had to do a bit of tinkering with my ADSL router to get it all setup.

Can't remember how long x-lite takes to dial out, will try it when I get home and let you know.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Well when I'm at work X-Lite is pretty much instant on dialling out... At home, its a very very long delay. Incoming calls are pretty much instant in both instances.

Can you remember the settings that makes the TA612V work behind a router. Im sure that you don't need to forward all 65535 UDP ports to get it to work.... :?

So far I've got the UDP 5060... and about a dozen variations on the other port ranges... :?

If I can get X-Lite working perfectly, no doubt the TA612V will be solid aswell :D
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 pm

X-lite dials instantly going out, never made any configuration changes for X-lite to my router.

The Netgear needs loads of ports, you can't really restrict it (I tried). I found the way to do it is:-

If you want to use both ports on the TA612V for two seperate phone lines with independant numbers make sure you setup an additional account first (before going through the MAC registration with Sipgate)

Register the MAC address of the Netgear with Sipgate before you do anything else, this will allow them to get the config file ready on their server (you don't do any phone configs on the Netgear).

If using the Netgear behind another router you need to do the following.

Assign a static IP address to the WAN port of the TA612V, one that is in same subnet but outside the DHCP range (and not used anywhere else).

On your existing router setup the DMZ to point to the WAN IP of the TA612V.

On your exisitng router use MAC cloning to clone the Netgear MAC to the WAN port of your exisitng router (MAC address has to be the Netgear to get your 555 minutes free and is used for authentication).

Plug it all in and wait a few minutes, a couple of things occur, firstly the firmware is updated, then your connection settings are setup in the Netgear. All this takes 5 or so minutes, just leave it to it.

That is it your are done.

PM me if you want my number to give it a go.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:30 pm

I've given the TA612V a static address and added it to the DMZ of the existing router. I have registered it's MAC address with sipgate... How can I clone the MAC address of my existing router SWAMR-54108 running the RTv2.1 firmware.

So the only thing I haven't done, is clone the MAC. Is this only needed to use the 555 Minutes or is this necessary to get the updated firmware? I have left it for quite awhile, but still no luck.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:13 pm

I think Sipgate will only see the MAC of the SWAMR therefore you need to clone the MAC so that the SWAMR has the same MAC as the Netgear.

Don't know if you can do it with the SWAMR I use a 3com ADSL router which has the facility under Internet Settings - Hostname & MAC
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:08 am

Only way I got sipgate working on my Voip hardware is to give it a static IP and pop it in the DMZ. Softphone works well in this configuration as well.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:20 am

Kieran wrote:Only way I got sipgate working on my Voip hardware is to give it a static IP and pop it in the DMZ. Softphone works well in this configuration as well.
That's exactly what I have done. I'm asuming that the SIP service will only work via the WAN port, am I correct? The TA612V doesnt seem to even connect to the sipgate service to get the needed firmware update, nor can I even get the Open Firmware to download... It just seems to do nothing.

The amber 'tick' test light flashes on a reboot, and then goes out... Nothing else happens.

I have registered the TA612V on sipgate and left it all connected overnight, but still nothing.

I still also have a delay on X-Lite Softphone at home.; could my SWAMR be playing up? Would it be something to do with uPNP or anything like that?
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 pm

I have managed to compile some ports that are needed for the TA612V to work behind an existing router. I will test them when I get home... If anyone can comfirm if they are correct/incorrect, please do. :)
Phone Adapters Internet ports:

Sip Signal (UDP) 5060 - 5061
RTP (UDP) 5004 - 5005
STUN (UDP) 10000 - 10001
XLITE (UDP) 8000 - 8019
Sip Listen (UDP) 5004
CAP (UDP) 1026 - 1027
CAP2 (UDP) 1026
NTP (UDP) 123
FTFP (UDP) 69
DNS (UDP) 53
Keep-Alive (UDP) 1000 - 1300

(Sipgate source IPs are 217.10.79.2 & 217.10.79.3)

Since each firewall may be designed differently, please consult firewall
owners manual for further information.
Considering I did have the router in the DMZ with no results, I am unsure to how this will improve matters. Maybe I have a dodgy voice adaptor.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:15 pm

I tried loads of ports but the only reliable way is DMZ as the Netgear uses ports throughout the range, it needs to do this with having two phone lines.

Have you cloned the MAC address yet ? Until you do this Sipgate won't send the config file to the Netgear. This is for security as the file contains your user name and password.

The Netgear only looks for the config once when it is powered up, so if it doesn't do it then it won't ever do it.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:14 pm

Ok.... here we go...

I have changed the MAC address on the WAN side of the SWAMR... I've pretty much reset everything to default and started from scratch.

I have given the TA612V a static address, added it to the LAN Clients and put it into the DMZ.

I have connect the TA612V and registered it (again), rebooted it... The amber 'tick' test light blinks and few times and then stops, then blinks for awhile longer and then stops... Nothing... :?

Does the TA612V only download the settings/firmware the very first time, or every time it is powered up??

Although, by changing the MAC address of the SWAMR, I am getting the 555 free minutes via X-Lite :D, so it's not all bad :lol:
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:38 pm

The TA612V checks for updates everytime it powers up, if nothing has changed, or the server can't be reached it uses the last settings.

Wonder if the SWAMR doesn't like another device on the network having the same MAC as it doesn't support spoofing (eg you forced the change, it wasn't an option).

Can you connect a PC to the LAN port on the TA612V and see if you can connect to the Internet with the PC set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:50 pm

Techsolver wrote:The TA612V checks for updates everytime it powers up, if nothing has changed, or the server can't be reached it uses the last settings.

Wonder if the SWAMR doesn't like another device on the network having the same MAC as it doesn't support spoofing (eg you forced the change, it wasn't an option).

Can you connect a PC to the LAN port on the TA612V and see if you can connect to the Internet with the PC set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.
You know that's the weirdest thing of all... Internet access through the router works perfectly. Does the amber 'tick' test light mean it's looking for an update, what should happen in the event of an update?

Is there a way to force feed the open firmware to the TA612V??
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:14 pm

Yes the amber tick is while it checks for updates (firmware or settings). With mine first time I tried I had problems like you, thats when I setup DMZ, that wasn't enough so then I cloned the MAC into my 3com.

Then the first time I powered the TA612V back up it did the tick thing for ages, then rebooted, then did the tick thing some more, I think it rebooted again and that was it, got a green light for line 1.

A day or so later I added the second line settings to Sipgate, rebooted TA612V and tick thing again.

Normally when nothing has changed tick comes on for 10ish seconds, then I get both lines showing green.

I wonder if the SWAMR is blocking something essential ?
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:21 pm

Just to add, I setup another two TA612V for people after mine, one had the same 3com as me, the other had a BT wireless broadband router on a cable connection.

Having learnt from my own setup I cloned the TA612V MAC to the WAN port of the existing routers, setup DMZ and static IPs for the WAN ports on the TA612V.

Powered up the exisitng routers first, let them connect to Internet properly, then powered up TA612V, let it do its stuff, and that was it.

Three of us all setup easily once I learnt the tricks, seems strange that this info isn't available anywhere, did a good Google but no help so sorted it myself.