X-Lite/Netgear TA612V and Sipgate

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:40 pm

I have noticed one strange thing... The TA612V uses two MAC addresses... One for WAN and one for LAN... Well the MAC address on the bottom of the router (which is needed to register on sipgate) is the LAN MAC address and not the WAN MAC address!? :? Is this right??

Which MAC address are you using to clone? The one which is printed on the base of the router (which is LAN), or the WAN MAC address?

I've tried it all with various combinations... It's just refusing to co-operate :vent: :bicker: :rant: :strop: :bawl: :help: :shootrapid:
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:56 pm

I cloned the MAC on the label, the same one as registered with Sipgate.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22 am

What model 3Com router are you using? I think I might give it a try myself, even if it to just unlock the unit.

It seems that the 555 free minutes do not require the MAC authentication, as I can use X-Lite at work and it allows me to dial out, obviously to UK landlines only.

Edit: Can I just add that I have solved the issue at home. Firstly I changed the X-Lite SIP listening port to: 5070 and RTP listening port to 9000, which will allow me to use two SIP lines/accounts at the same time.

I have forwarded the ports:

UDP 5004 - 5005
UDP 5070 - 5071
UDP 9000 - 9019

This seems to make it work perfectly, registering and dialing out pretty much instantly.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:33 pm

I have just found some hidden menus on the TA612V
Obviously, you'll need to change the IP address to suit your own setup.

I can't test them right now (due to being at work). Anyone confirm they work and possibly get screenshots?

Source forum
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:46 pm

The 3com model is 3CRWDR100A-72

Office Connect ADSL Wireless 11g firewall router

Those hidden pages don't do anything, just says page not found
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Techsolver wrote:The 3com model is 3CRWDR100A-72

Office Connect ADSL Wireless 11g firewall router
Hmmm, alittle more expensive than I was hoping.
Techsolver wrote:Those hidden pages don't do anything, just says page not found
Did you change the IP address to match your TA612V router? :? :)
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:37 pm

Staples have been selling it for £29, now down to £19 (if they have any left). All it needs is the latest firmware from 3com and it is great.

The firmware the Staples one comes with is very old, and plain doesn't work right, so normal Joe public takes it back. Staples end up with all the perfectly fine routers that no one wants, we get a bargin.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:43 pm

Oh as of six ish (atleast) sipgate down, get a dial tone but that is it. Website down too.

** EDIT **

As of 9:20pm site back up and phone working.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 pm

Techsolver,

Could you do me a huge favour... If it doesn't disrupt you too much; could you try the following two scenarios (individually) for me on your setup and see if either work.

1. Remove the MAC cloning from the 3Com router; leaving the TA612V in the DMZ, and see if you can still download the settings from/connect to sipgate.

2. Re-instate the MAC cloning on the 3Com router, remove the TA612V from the DMZ and only map these ports to the TA612V:

Port 5004 UDP
Port 5060 UDP
Port 8000 - 8012 UDP
Port 10000 STUN
Port 3478 UDP & TCP
Port 123 UDP
Port 69 UDP
Port 53 UDP

I'm trying to remove some variables from my setup, to narrow down the possible cause. If your setup works with either, or even both of those scenarios, I know I have a problem with my SWAMR (or God forbid; even the TA612V :? :().

If they do not work, then I will know it is either the MAC cloning or the port forwarding that is the problem.

Thank you :)

Edit: Do you have the Open Firmware or the Sipgate one on your TA612V?
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:17 pm

studioeng wrote:I have just found some hidden menus on the TA612V
Edited
Obviously, you'll need to change the IP address to suit your own setup.
I tried to access these pages on my TA612V, and it asked me for a username and password; admin/password does not work. Anyone happen to know what the sipgate level 2 password is? Edit: Emailed Sipgate support requesting Level 2 password and recieved shortly after!

I have also found some unlocked firmware for the TA612V; now I just need to be able to upgrage it :? :wink:
Last edited by studioeng on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:43 pm

Might not get chance to do anything with it until tomorrow, will let you know when I do.

The firmware is the standard from sipgate, I think they also provide an unlocked version but haven't tried it.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:55 pm

Techsolver wrote:Might not get chance to do anything with it until tomorrow, will let you know when I do.
Thank you :)
Techsolver wrote:The firmware is the standard from sipgate, I think they also provide an unlocked version but haven't tried it.
I know of the Open Firmware that Sipgate provide, via the right hand menu when you goto Auto Configuration; but I can't get it to download just as I can't get the sipgate config to download. So I need to find the way into the 'Firmware Update' page and change it manually. :?

Edit: I have just received a reply to my emails to Sipgate, and they have supplied the open firmware binary and also the Level 2 password required to access the hidden menus.

They inform me that the Level 2 passwords are generated with the MAC address of the TA612V, so you will need to email support and request it; although the router will need to of been registered with sipgate.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:30 pm

I've now got the Unlocked firmware on the TA612V. I have make small progress, now after I set up Line 1 the Line 1 light is now flashing.

After a short while of tweaking 'Registration State' remains on 'Failed'...

Any idea what all the settings are for the sipgate servers? It seems that opening the firmware has helped.

I've tried various settings found by searching Google; but nothing seems to get it to work. :( :?
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:54 pm

Techsolver,

If you would be so kind; since you have the real Sipgate firmware installed on your TA612V, could you request your level 2 password from Sipgate and then access the hidden pages taking note of all the settings.

I have tried to connect the TA612V to another model router, but I still get the same problem with the failed registration. I have even gone through the sipgate X-Lite settings, but no joy at all.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 am

A few more hidden menus for you to take a look at...

There is very interesting stuff within these pages, even if they are very obscure :?

/adv_d.htm
/adv_l.htm
/set_prov.htm
/set_voip.htm
/techsupp.htm
/upgrade.htm
/vsp.htm

Edit: These pages will only work with the Level 2 password