ISP DSLAM Manufacturer

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

ISP DSLAM Manufacturer

Post by mstombs » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:07 pm

Just learned from an expert 'down under' how to determine your ISP hardware from the router dsl stats, apologies if this is common knowledge - was new to me!

The ATUC Vendor code is hex ascii code

Mine is

ATUC Vendor Code: 4946544E ATUC Revision: 1

which translates to IFTN = Infineon (HUAWEI in my case I believe)

Another posted nearby is

ATUC Vendor Code: 414C4342 ATUC Revision: 1

which translates to ALCB Alcatel

I haven't found a full list yet but it seems the following are others

4244434D = BDCM = Broadcom
54535443 = TSTC = Texas Instruments
4753504E = GSPN = Globespan
544D4D42 = TMMB = Thomson Multimedia Broadband

I believe some other brand ADSL modems already report this, perhaps could be added to the RUC / web interface?

What use, maybe some specific tweaks are possible if you know the hardware at the other end?
Last edited by mstombs on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:31 pm

Cool :). Mine is GSPN.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Alex Atkin
Novice
Novice

Post by Alex Atkin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:30 am

Yup, had known mine was Alcatel ever since I got a router that reported it. That was only because its kinda obvious, it couldn't really stand for anything else and I'm pretty sure its been said before BT favour Alcatel DSLAMs.

I wish Be would sort themselves out, no new exchanges activated in over a month now. If they ever catch up and activate us left behind (was due in April, then May, then July, then it just didn't happen with no new ETA) it will be interesting to see what DSLAM they use.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info mstombs - this will make a nice addition to the Router Diagnostic software ;)

Edit: got mstombs' name wrong :oops: :cringe: :shakehead2:
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
kungfumaster9

Post by kungfumaster9 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:10 pm

Just used this to check mine and it looks like I'm on a TI DSLAM (BT). Do certain DSLAMs provide better performance than others?
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:33 am

kungfumaster9 wrote:Just used this to check mine and it looks like I'm on a TI DSLAM (BT). Do certain DSLAMs provide better performance than others?
Some posters on another forum were of the opinion that matching your router chipset with that of the DSLAM, especially for ADSL2+, gives better performance. Not found this personally as I am only on a ADSL connection.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:22 am

eMuNiX wrote:Some posters on another forum were of the opinion that matching your router chipset with that of the DSLAM, especially for ADSL2+, gives better performance. Not found this personally as I am only on a ADSL connection.
I think this should be a consideration if buying a new router - but ISP configuration and firmware versions probably have a big impact too. TalkTalk have tried to play safe with supplying modems from the same manufacturer as their LLU DSLAMs.

From the same source of the info in this thread, here's what can happen with incompatible chipsets:-

http://apcmag.com/6143/optus_admits_bro ... rk_problem

The same DSLAM as mine, which has locked up once for a couple of weeks - was it my fiddling with firmware?...
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:32 pm

Just a note that version 1.3.3 of the Router Diagnostic tool now identifies the ISP hardware ;)
I also found this and combined the two lists in to a single file. That way it is easier to keep the Router Diagnostic up-to-date.

The current table is as follows:

Code: Select all

ALCB=Alcatel (now ST Micro)
ANDV=Analog Devices
BDCM=Broadcom
GSPN=Globespan
IFTN=Infineon
STMI=ST Micro
TMMB=Thomson Multimedia Broadband
TSTC=Texas Instruments
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

Router Diag 1.3.3

Post by KeithSloan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:17 pm

I just get "unexpected error" when I run the exe. Am I doing something wrong ?
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Hmmm
Router wrote: ATUC Vendor Code: 50000000 ATUC Revision: 2
Router Diagnostic wrote: ISP Hardware = P
It doesn't mean a lot to me...

As to the .exe erroring is it at startup or when doing something (select a checkbox, clicking a button etc). Do you have the prerequites installed (all listed on Neo's page)?
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Router Diag 1.3.3

Post by Neo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:45 pm

KeithSloan wrote:I just get "unexpected error" when I run the exe. Am I doing something wrong ?
Do you get an error number? Is that the complete description?
SyBorg wrote:ATUC Vendor Code: 50000000
That's not in the list of known hardware manufacturers so it wouldn't be able to determine the full name. The actual line should read in the diagnostic:

ISP Hardware = P [unknown]
So that you know it's unknown ;)
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

Unexpected Error

Post by KeithSloan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:26 pm

The message as above was all that I got. I tried with and without firewall.

I missed the bit about prerequisites, too far down the page for me to spot.
I am missing shdocvw.oca which seems strange as the dll that uses it is there. Did I do something wrong? I cannot see where to get shdocvw.oca from? Tried searching internet.

Pretty sure I installed Virtual Basic cos I tried some of the routines in the past. My downloads\Virtual Basic\ has VB6.0 KB2908 87-X86 and vbrun60.sp6 and I assume I have run both in the past.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Neo wrote:Just a note that version 1.3.3 of the Router Diagnostic tool now identifies the ISP hardware ;)
Nice job Neo

ISP Hardware = Infineon
Had to rummage around your site to find the new download though...

Can't help with installation - just works out of the box for me - not reformatted/re-installed XP PRO for over 3 years...
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Unexpected Error

Post by Neo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:20 pm

KeithSloan wrote:I am missing shdocvw.oca which seems strange as the dll that uses it is there. Did I do something wrong? I cannot see where to get shdocvw.oca from? Tried searching internet.
It's part of Internet Explorer so it should be installed if you are using IE (or have installed/used IE in the past).

Do you get the same problem with version 1.3.1?
mstombs wrote:Nice job Neo
mstombs wrote:Had to rummage around your site to find the new download though...
:? All you have to do is click on the Software entry of the menu and then it's the first item ;) Not sure how it could be much easier :(
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Unexpected Error

Post by mstombs » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Neo wrote:
mstombs wrote:Had to rummage around your site to find the new download though...
:? All you have to do is click on the Software entry of the menu and then it's the first item ;) Not sure how it could be much easier :(
um well I have to admit I looked on this site first, then jumped to your site via a RUC link - didn't see that big button in your sig! Then got attracted by the phone thingy...

I think you should treat yourself to a sticky in the software forum and and an entry in the downloads page on this site!