RouterTech firmware on ADSL2MUE!

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:19 am

Currently I have the 4.22 EU firmware, I already tried the 2.17-TI but I'm not completely satisfied with this firmware, so I re-flashed back with 4.22 EU firmware, I wanted to try the Routertech firmware because I've heard rumors that it is more stable, unfortunately I don't know the correct procedure (I DON'T MEAN I don't know how to upgrade my modem!), WHAT I MEAN IS THAT:

-------------
Official instructions from Linksys:

1) Procedure to upgrade from 4.12 to 4.22

In order to upgrade the ADSL2MUE running firmware 4.12 to firmware 4.22 you need 2 files:
- LKS.zimage.ar7rd.upgrade.360c.bin
- LKS.annexA.upgrade.422.xx.img (where xx is the country/language code)

First upload the `LKS.zimage.ar7rd.upgrade.360c.bin` file using the normal firmware upgrade procedure on the web interface.
This will load a special firmware upgrade interface.
On this interface, select and upload the `LKS.annexA.upgrade.422.xx.img` file.

Do NOT use the `LKS.single.annexA.upgrade.422.xx.img` file to upgrade from 4.12 to a newer version. This will destroy the unit !

2) Procedure to upgrade from 4.19 to 4.22

In order to upgrade the ADSL2MUE running firmware 4.19 to firmware 4.22 you need 1 file:
- LKS.single.annexA.upgrade.422.xx.img

Upload the `LKS.single.annexA.upgrade.422.xx.img ` file using the normal firmware upgrade procedure on the web interface.
-------------

You see? Depending on the firmware you currently have on your modem, you have to follow COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROCEDURES.
Do I have to follow a particular procedure in order to upgrade to routertech firmware?
For example: FIRST I upload the smaller file and THEN proceed with the bigger one, or I can DIRECTLY flash with the bigger one WITHOUT uploading the smaller one FIRST?

Sorry if I'm not clear enough, my english sucks...
When everybody is convinced that something is impossible to do, then comes a fool that does not know this and invent it.
(Albert Einstein)
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:33 am

You only need to go through the Linksys 2-step process once to get away from version 4.12, since you already have Linksys 4.22 I suggest you just try loading the smaller Routertech version from the web interface and see how you get on, you can easily move on to the bigger version later.
theChief wrote:For the 2MUE, either "RouterTech_3.6.0D_20070604_2.30_AR7RD-1Port_psbl_firmware.upgrade.img" or "RouterTech_3.6.0D_20070604_2.30_AR7RD-1Port_psbl-4mb-flash_firmware.upgrade.img " should be fine under normal circumstances. The "4mb-flash" version simply has some extra functionality, to take advantage of the extra flash and RAM.
The LEDs will be wrong to start with (red light stays on), but this doesn't affect functionality of the modem and can be fixed later.
^Albe^
Regular
Regular

Post by ^Albe^ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:17 pm

@Rorschach
how long yours adsl2mue, usually, stay connected to the net with the 4.22?
john.robinson

Post by john.robinson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:56 pm

Hello all! I've got my ADSL2MUE up with RT firmware. Even got the LEDs right. A couple of things though:

1. It doesn't seem to work with the modem set to MULTI_MODE - it syncs very briefly but PPP never starts - and even in ADSL_G.dmt it falls off every minute if I set Keep Alive in the connection settings. Is this a TalkTalk problem? Should I try another modulation setting?

2. Can I do funky stuff with VLANs or even aliases on the ethernet port? I can ifconfig an alias; is the only way to make this stick to use autoexec.sh?

3. Can I install a PPTP server - poptop presumably - on it now? Or would this need a reflash with custom firmware? If so, can I ask for it please to be added to the stock 4Mbit firmware; ppp_mppe.ko plus pptpd on CentOS 5 for x86 total about 40KB and everything else is presumably already included for the PPPoA/E support in RT...

Firmware version: RouterTech_3.6.0D_20070604_2.30 (20070604165805)
System Uptime: 2 hours 7 minutes
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Speed: 448/8064kbps
Ethernet: Connected
WAN IP Address: 84.13.66.79 ("TalkTalk")
WAN Uptime: 2hr 6min 30sec ("TalkTalk")

Modem status:
Connection Status Connected
Ds Rate (Kbps) 8064
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
DS Margin 14
US Margin 26
DS Line Attenuation 19
US Line Attenuation 9
Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors 0
Peak Cell Rate 1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 0
CRC Tx Interleaved 1
Path Mode Interleaved

PS. Got this ADSL2MUE off Amazon a little while back for £15 inc delivery. Magic :D
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi,

1. I'm also on TalkTalk, and have had various troubles in ADSL2+ or Multimode, I suspect your problem is that TalkTalk have a default SNR target of 16dB - I notice that you aren't even on maximum ADSL1 rate - I suspect mine is now 6dB (following various problems - only TalkTalk 2nd line can change this).
You may also like to try with a better power supply rated 5V2A?
Interesting your comment about keepalive - I have never tried this.
My current stats are:- after 5 hours up (just resynched for no apparent reason this afternoon)

Code: Select all

Connection Status 	  	Connected
Ds Rate (Kbps) 	  	8124
Us Rate (Kbps) 	  	444
DS Margin 	  	18
US Margin 	  	24
DS Line Attenuation 	  	18
US Line Attenuation 	  	9
Trained Modulation 	  	ADSL_2plus
LOS Errors 	  	0
Peak Cell Rate 	  	1047 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 	  	56
CRC Tx Fast 	  	0
CRC Rx Interleaved 	  	0
CRC Tx Interleaved 	  	0
Path Mode 	  	Fast Path
And no I don't know how to control Fast Path/ Interleaved, I suspect you get Fastpath if TalkTalk think there is enough margin.

2. Not sure about VLANs and how meaningful they are with only 1 Ethernet port, the bridge filters in the GUI may do something that you want. You can definitely add alias's with commands of the style

ifconfig br0:0 192.168.100.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

[by default eth0 and usb0 are bridged with br0, so eth0 doesn't normally have an IP address]

Single commands are best with autoexec.sh (to run after wan up) or RT_Run for init. Or you can create a writable flash directory (at least 512k available on the 4Mb flash 2MUE) and store scripts there. (My modem send me an email every time it boots!

3. Re PPTP you would have to cross compile for mipsle, no idea if the CPU is fast enough to handle encryption? Acorp beta firmware does now include some form VPN endpoint which may be similar? You can load modules from flash, assuming you do not need to add kernel support - I can now use it to load alternative DSP/ATM drivers for my personal testing.
john.robinson

Post by john.robinson » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:22 pm

Meh. Trouble:
Firmware version: RouterTech_3.6.0D_20070604_2.30 (20070604165805)
System Uptime: 56 hours 29 minutes
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Speed: 0/0kbps
Ethernet: Connected
WAN IP Address: 84.13.212.6 ("TalkTalk")
WAN Uptime: 46hr 2min 20sec ("TalkTalk")

Modem Status

Connection Status Connected
Ds Rate (Kbps) 0
Us Rate (Kbps) 0
DS Margin 2147483644
US Margin 26
DS Line Attenuation 18
US Line Attenuation 9
Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors 0
Peak Cell Rate 0 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 5262556
CRC Tx Interleaved 2791987
Path Mode Interleaved
Yes, speed 0kbps. It still thought ppp was up too. What can I change so it resyncs automatically and doesn't stay down for 24 hours like it just did?
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:31 pm

If I recall, the 'DSL Speed' displayed is the current speed, not the speed at which the router first synced. Also, the default behaviour of the router should get it to resync automatically, but there are several variables such as 'Idle Timeout', 'Keep Alive' and several tweaks too. If you look at the logs you might see that the sync speed has varied over the past 24 hours. You could use something like the Router Stats Logger to monitor your connection to see if and how the speed and SNR margin vary over time ;) You can also use the Router Stats Logger to set the SNR margin threshold for resyncing as well as performing more advanced tweaks.
Of course, it's also worth looking at ways to improve the connection physically, if you haven't already done so ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
decon

Post by decon » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:38 pm

Hello

Just upgraded routertech v2.3 firmware for my adsl2mue, it looks great that I can use it as a full-functional router!

However, when I use it with UK O2 broadband (yes it is a new one) with ADSL2+, I can see the link status is up (DSL LED keeps on) but I never can go through the Internet (internet LED in most of time is off). Ping to any external server will fail. Who can tell me what's the problem? I use static IP and I am sure I have set those IP settings correctly.

Many thanks.

Frank
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:40 pm

From the O2 site:-

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN ... CASE=13409

O2 are using the Be network and their service is MAC locked to the router they supply.

To use another router you have to change the WAN MAC address.

Check to see if you have a WAN MAC address defined - in the environment section of the 'diagnostics' page. If you have make a note of it - it may be "wan_br_mac" or "HWA_3" or missing altogether. To use the O2 system you will have to set the MAC address to the same as your O2/Be router - using the command (run command, or via telnet/ssh) - with your MAC

setenv HWA_3 00:12:17:11:22:33

You should then check that it is saved, and reboot to take effect.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:51 pm

john.robinson wrote:Yes, speed 0kbps. It still thought ppp was up too. What can I change so it resyncs automatically and doesn't stay down for 24 hours like it just did?
Try running this command from a telnet/ssh login session

setenv checksync.sh "1 15"
reboot
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
decon

Post by decon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:34 am

mstombs wrote:From the O2 site:-

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN ... CASE=13409

O2 are using the Be network and their service is MAC locked to the router they supply.

To use another router you have to change the WAN MAC address.

Check to see if you have a WAN MAC address defined - in the environment section of the 'diagnostics' page. If you have make a note of it - it may be "wan_br_mac" or "HWA_3" or missing altogether. To use the O2 system you will have to set the MAC address to the same as your O2/Be router - using the command (run command, or via telnet/ssh) - with your MAC
ironically
setenv HWA_3 00:12:17:11:22:33

You should then check that it is saved, and reboot to take effect.
The modem now works. :D The O2 broadband uses a different VCI/VPI pair (0 / 101 ) and I also didnt know that the WAN MAC is fixed. Ironically, I spoke to their customer service three times but non of them can gave me a basic answer.

Just two things remains unclear to me:

1) under static IP setting, the Internet LED of adsl2mue is never power on whilst the internet is connected. However, the DSL LED will flick during the internet data transferring.

2) since O2 informed it is based on asdl2+ technology. I am not very sure which mode in setup->modem section is the best one for O2 network.

Thanks so much anyway. Now I can clean out the bad O2 wireless box (everything is locked, even WPA for wireless is disabled) from my desktop.. :D
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:31 am

Re:1 Have you have loaded the adsl2mue led conf? If you haven't the red power led stays on as well. It may still do because your connection doesn't need the username/password?

What connection type do you need for this service? It seems to be IP over ATM, which is PPPOE routed? Which one do you select from the connection setup screen (which obviously works for you!)? It will be good to update the ISP list on this site with this information.

Re:2 It is best to leave the modem configuration in "multimode" it will then negotiate the best connection. If you don't like what it uses you can try forcing one of the others. Note some people have problems with the ADSL2MUE and ADSL2_plus, and it works better if you use a more powerful PSU.

Warning: You must keep the O2 modem safe with a working config - you will need it if you ever have a line or ISP problem to report!
decon

Post by decon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:12 am

mstombs wrote:Re:1 Have you have loaded the adsl2mue led conf? If you haven't the red power led stays on as well. It may still do because your connection doesn't need the username/password?
I am not very sure if the adsl2mue led conf is loaded since I just refresh the router using the 4MB version 2.3 firmware. I purchased a static IP address from O2 that there are not such username/password pair in option. (it seems that the O2 uses MAC address to identify the user though)
mstombs wrote: What connection type do you need for this service? It seems to be IP over ATM, which is PPPOE routed? Which one do you select from the connection setup screen (which obviously works for you!)? It will be good to update the ISP list on this site with this information.
The O2 broadband, goes to public on 15/10/2007, offers user static IP option with extra 5 pounds a month and I brought one. So to let adsl2mue work, the current setup is :

--part 1--
connection type: "static",
IP: my static IP
Gateway: 87.194.100.1
Network: 255.255.252.0
DNS: 87.194.0.66 | 87.194.0.67

--part 2--
VPI: "0",
VCI:"101" (different from the common setting 0/38 of most UK ISPs)
QoS: "UBR"
Encapsulation: "LLC"
Modem Setup: "ADSL2plus", (Multimode also works but _sometimes_ it goes down/up often)
WAN MAC: my O2 router's mac.

Currently, I use WRT54GS/ADSL2MUE combinations that I put --part 1-- into WRT54GS as static and --part 2-- in ADSL2MUE.under connection type "bridge" mode. It works.
mstombs wrote:Re:2 It is best to leave the modem configuration in "multimode" it will then negotiate the best connection. If you don't like what it uses you can try forcing one of the others. Note some people have problems with the ADSL2MUE and ADSL2_plus, and it works better if you use a more powerful PSU.
OK, i will check PSU things in this post. thanks for the advice.
mstombs wrote:Warning: You must keep the O2 modem safe with a working config - you will need it if you ever have a line or ISP problem to report!
Some O2 technique support staff even dont know about VCI/VPI number and they usually refuse to answer any questions about how to setup other band routers. :D
pmanny

Post by pmanny » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:44 am

jabu2oz wrote:Also, I tried running the LED batch, but everytime I do, it loads the Telnet Scripter program but does nothing else.
The reason for this is the adsl2mue.bat has a typo in it.
I downloaded routertech-ar7rd-pspboot-1port-firmware-20070604.zip last night and was testing it on my ADSL2MUE 4.17AUS when I found that the adsl2mue.bat didn't work.
If you look at the file it has
.\ts.exe /r:adls2mue.txt
It should be:
.\ts.exe /r:adsl2mue.txt

I'll post how I go with my ADSL2MUE AUS setup once I have it tested further 8)
pmanny

Post by pmanny » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:13 am

I did a little more testing with this unit today.
I initially had some problems setting up the pppoe connection, but after a couple of attempts I realised I had missed the VPI and VCI settings.
My ISP uses the fairly standard settings of VPI 8 and VCI 35. Once I sorted them I was right as rain.

So far, after a couple of hours, everything is still working fine.
I used a different powersupply on the modem as I had previously been getting dropouts. Right now a regulated 5v 3A power supply is working a treat.

The other thing was graphing my traffic with MRTG. SNMP is one way, however its not in the firmware, and besides, it adds overhead.
I threw together a script which will does the job well enough.
I might get around to making something a little nicer one day 8)

The Script

#!/bin/sh
host=<router IP>
port=23
username=root
password=<your password>

( echo open ${host} ${port}
sleep 1
echo $username
sleep 1
echo $password
sleep 2
echo ifconfig ppp0
sleep 1
echo exit ) | telnet 2>&1 |grep -i "RX bytes" |awk {'print $2 "\n" $6'} |sed 's/bytes://'
A couple of notes:
1: Get your permissions right wherever you dump this script. It has the root password to your router, and you don't want any old person taking a look.
2: The script is looking at ppp0. You could change this to look at your IPtables rules, etc etc. Again, this is a very rudimentary script.
3: The script does no error checking. Not the end of the world, but it does mean you will be feeding garbage back to mrtg if something goes wrong.

As far as configuring MRTG to use this info:
mrtg.conf

Target[ppp0]: `/path/to/script`
MaxBytes[ppp0]: 100000000
Title[ppp0]: ppp0
PageTop[ppp0]: <H1>ppp0</H1>
Options[ppp0]: growright,noinfo,unknaszero,nopercent
Thanks to the devs for this great firmware... i'm loving it! :D

The only thing I think this firmware desperately needs is a copy of tcpdump. Debugging network problems and iptables problems can be very painful without it.