D-link DSL-G664T - successful

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
qcrz_

D-link DSL-G664T - successful

Post by qcrz_ » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:48 pm

Hello to the community,

I want to share with you in short my experience in installing the Routertech firmware on ADSL WiFi router D-Link DSL-G664T. On the box is written hardware revision - V.A1.

INSTALLATION
------------

Generally, no majbor problems are encountered. With the help of Neo, I first collected all information for the router, using this version of the Router Update Check utilty : v1.1.9 http://www.neolics.com/getfile.php?id=110

I also changed in settings.ini these values:

Delay between stages=3
Login prompt=ogin

The standard versions of RUC, e.g. 1.1.8 hang when collecting the info.

Also for RUC to start at all I needed to use regsvr32 \<path to this file>\MSWINSCK.OCX. This is the only control I needed on XP SP2. For more troubleshooting on RUC see the related support topics in this forum.

The steps in short are: (be sure to read the official RT 2.3 manual for installation to setup properly the IP of the bootloader in case you need to use corrupted image restore and for other infos)

1) Collect info with RUC as described above

2) Upgrade to latest D-Link firmware DSL-G664T_fw_revALL_20060830_ALL_en_20060830.zip

can be found here: ftp://ftp.dlink.de/dsl/dsl-g664t/driver_software/

Note: Before starting, be sure to hw/sw reset the router config and to echo the 192.168.1.1 ip into the bootloader environment variable as described in the RT 2.3 manual.

2.1) You can again collect the info with RUC

3) Upgrade to DarkWolfs mod of RT 2.3. Can be found on: http://darkwolf.altervista.org/

Notes:

Sometimes it might be needed to use the "corrupted image" option on step 2 or 3. It works flawlessly.

You can prepare also some versions of PCTool just in case, but from my experience both the official D-Link firmwares and the one from DarkWolf have the option "Corrupted image install" in the installer which saves your ass in almost all cases.

PROBLEMS
------------

Now, after 2 months of usage I want to share some bugs that I encountered. It's possible that they are related to my setup in personal, but the more experience ppl here can comment.

1) I noticed that when I create User defined rules for port forwarding, instead of inserting ACCEPT rule in the FORWARD chain a DROP rule is inserted which obviously does not do the job. I dunno why is this behaviour, trying to use UPnP as much as possible.. but for example E-Mule cannot bind successfully. With the original D-Link these were ok.

2) I was using for one month 64bit wep encryption without issues. Then I switched to WPA PSK-ASCII (the only possible) and connection is ok, but all of us 3 users that are connected experience frequent drops of the IM applications (i.e. ICQ, Jabber). Every hour it disconnects from the servers. We use different OSes - Win32, MACOS, Linux and problem is everywhere. Strange problem. U can immediately connect after disconnect.

3) I also noticed that is not possible to use WEP cypher higher than 64bits. E.g. 128bits and 256bits does not work.

I'm not sure if these are problems of the RT 2.3, or the Darkwolf version or the D-Link somehow. Any shared experience will be usefull.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: D-link DSL-G664T - successful

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:48 pm

qcrz_ wrote:Hello to the community,
Hello :)
qcrz_ wrote:2) I was using for one month 64bit wep encryption without issues. Then I switched to WPA PSK-ASCII (the only possible) and connection is ok, but all of us 3 users that are connected experience frequent drops of the IM applications (i.e. ICQ, Jabber). Every hour it disconnects from the servers. We use different OSes - Win32, MACOS, Linux and problem is everywhere. Strange problem. U can immediately connect after disconnect.
I've never heard of this problem before. I think you should look at how your clients are configured.
qcrz_ wrote:3) I also noticed that is not possible to use WEP cypher higher than 64bits. E.g. 128bits and 256bits does not work.
Hmmm ... tell that to my router and all the wireless clients in my house, which have been using 128-bit WEP for longer than I care to remember.
It most certainly is possible. Again, I think you should look at how your clients are configured.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
qcrz_

Re: D-link DSL-G664T - successful

Post by qcrz_ » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:16 pm

thechief wrote:
qcrz_ wrote:2) I was using for one month 64bit wep encryption without issues. Then I switched to WPA PSK-ASCII (the only possible) and connection is ok, but all of us 3 users that are connected experience frequent drops of the IM applications (i.e. ICQ, Jabber). Every hour it disconnects from the servers. We use different OSes - Win32, MACOS, Linux and problem is everywhere. Strange problem. U can immediately connect after disconnect.
I've never heard of this problem before. I think you should look at how your clients are configured.
Well, if you mean IM clients, as I told you, we use different OSes and different clients, Miranda, Adium, Official ICQ..

I described it little bit wrong, sometimes it keeps the connection for longer periords a few hours.. or more, I'm not sure which condition causes this. And with WEP we don't have such issue.

If you mean something else by "clients" please specify :-).

I'm wondering if this can be due to the DarkWolf mod. I never found what are the exact difference between the official RT and DarkMod's one. Only that the latter is more D-Link friendly (somehow.. ), and this was the reason to put it.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:53 am

By "clients" I mean the PCs/laptops that you are using to connect to the router wirelessly.

As far as I am aware, the only significant differences in the DarkWolf mods are the dsp/atm drivers, and the inclusion of the tiupgrade utility and supporting files. Perhaps DarkWolf has a changelog which outlines the differences between his mods and the official RT firmwares.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.