RouterTech Firmware 2.91 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Pondera
Experienced
Experienced

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.91 Discussion

Post by Pondera » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Pondera wrote:Is possible to have a setting section in RT fw in order to configuring LED scheme by myself?!?
Kieran wrote:5. The "RT configurations" feature has been updated to be able to specify Led file and DSP driver. The available ones are shown in brackets. The desired Led or DSP file should be specified as it appears in the brackets - and their file extensions must NOT be specified.
Well! Thank you very much!!! :D
Kieran wrote:14. DSP/tiatim v6.x has been restored to the AnnexA firmwares.

15. The default DSP driver has generally been changed to DSP/tiatm v6.x. This should free up some memory on low memory routers, and should also be less demanding on the hardware. In the firmwares that allowed for changing the DSP/tiatm drivers, the facility to change the drivers still remains.
:shock: :shock: :( :(
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Pondera wrote:
Kieran wrote:14. DSP/tiatim v6.x has been restored to the AnnexA firmwares.

15. The default DSP driver has generally been changed to DSP/tiatm v6.x. This should free up some memory on low memory routers, and should also be less demanding on the hardware. In the firmwares that allowed for changing the DSP/tiatm drivers, the facility to change the drivers still remains.
:shock: :shock: :( :(
As I said, better safe than sorry. What problems are you having with v6.x?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Did my usual attempt to upgrade through interface on 604t, failed, progress bar complted, router rebooted into same old firmware and no update applied, no error given. just as it's done with every previous release. Update also always fails through any conventional pctool means as well so I had to do my usual use ti app to erase firmware and corrupt it on purpose, then force feed it through adam2 ftp. all that said and done, 2.91 is now running. First thing checked was bootloader fragmentation, it returned a 1, which i suspected it would since it's never been defragged and since webiterface has NEVER updated since day one with this router i suspected fragmentation could be to blame. So i ran the command through telnet, did another check, returned 0, all good. Although i noticed defrag removed a lot of environment settings such as cron, checksync, etc. So i used the RT configuration tool built into web ui, set the led and everything again. rebooted. Ran frag check again just to see, it now returns 1 once again, so using the RT configuration made environment fragmented again? Naturally it'll be a pointless effort to defrag again since it'll just remove the stuff RT configuration added in first place, it'd be an endless circle. IS adding a couple configuration lines after a defrag always gonna fragment it again? if so is there any way to defragment it without losing the extra variables I want on?

Edit, apparently doing it again didn't make same problem, it's now defraged with all the variables from RT configuration i wanted.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm not sure why you are surprised. Are you sure you want all the gory technical details? ;) Here goes: everytime you change something in the environment (particularly when something is deleted or given a new value) it technically gets fragmented. This is a bit like a database (when you delete records) or a file system (when you delete files). These are marked as deleted, but are still physically there. In the case of a database, the process of "packing" it (or whatever your favourite database program calls getting rid of junk) removes all the junk, speeds up the database, etc. In the case of a filesystem, defragmenting it does the same. Ditto for the router's environment - except that, for Adam2, you have a finite number of possible entries in the environment (80), and Adam2 is not very good of getting rid of junk when the environment is full of trash (i.e., obsolete entries). The PSP bootloader, on the other hand, does a pretty good job of getting rid of trash - so fragmentation hardly ever becomes a problem on routers with the PSP boot loader. As has been said many times, Adam2 is brain-damaged. We have tried to prolong its life, and the defragmentation features of RT v2.91 will go a long way towards eliminating a long-standing Adam2 problem (which the manufacturers never bothered to try to fix, opting to dump it in favour of the PSP bootloader instead).

In all cases, low levels of fragmentation are not a problem. But when fragmentation becomes acute, then problems start to occur - until this is sorted out. So in your case, the fragmentation level would be around 1% - which is not a problem (up to 75% would probably still be okay). I bet you would have no problem upgrading from the web interface now.

The next release of RT will allow you to set a fragmentation threshold, and will have a new tool that will do the defragmentation only when that threshold has been reached. Perhaps I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, but this feature is already undergoing some serious testing (but of course will only be released when it is ready). In the meantime, it will probably take several months (if not years) before you even need to start worrying about fragmentation levels. But if you are concerned about it, then you can set up a cron job to do it once a month or so.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:44 pm

mysticalos wrote:Edit, apparently doing it again didn't make same problem
Well, it shouldn't have happened at all in the first place. It probably happened because the original environment was so full of trash that it was impossible to sort out all the trash. I would have liked to see a copy of your old mtd3 file. If you still have a copy (from the RUC, etc.) can you please send it to me via PM? Thanks.

I would like to see first of all how badly fragmented it was, but also to figure out how the RT configuration variables got deleted, and whether this could have been prevented (which of course may not be possible, depending on the trash level).
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Yeah, that makes sense, it was trashed enough to break web interface updates for years, and who knows how much more i trashed it crashing router every update just to force feed new firmwares. I hope next version does web update properly now that it's defragged.
Finite

Post by Finite » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:43 am

Just to confirm with you all, Is it DDNS in this version 2.91 broken? I tested DynDNS & NO-IP. Both seem to be not able to update and it always return "No Response" in DDNS status there.
UPDATED: I think i found the problem, one of the library is missing! Should i process to reflash the firmware?
Attachments
ddns error.jpg
piwosz
Novice
Novice

Post by piwosz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am

Yes, DDNS is broken :(
eua
Novice
Novice

Post by eua » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:33 am

I got some connection issues on Inca modem.
I have DSL connection of 2048/512. But modem detect & connect it as 2048/64 after fw upgrade. I disconected and connected again than it recognize upstream as 512. But If I reset router, It detects UpStream as 64kbps. I don't remember any issue like this with 2.91.
Is anything touched near dsl line connection code? Or my line is gona bad this days? ( My DSLAM uses ADSL_G.dmt connection protocol )

No upload issue when I connected with US 512 kbps. Line is clear.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:48 am

Change the DSP driver .
bovirus
Regular
Regular

Post by bovirus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:24 am

Should be possible to have in future revision a default configuration without "quickstart" connectuon and "modulation" set as "MULTIMODE" and "USB" option off?

Every time that I load the firmware in the modem the first three steps that I have always to setup:
- Delete "quickstart" not editable connection to create new one with right parameters
- Set Moulation to multimode
- Set USB off because save memory and in modem/router it's not possible to ahve ethernet and USB both active in the same time.

If this feature are in this state in standatd firmware (are leaded as default parameter) the user can avoid to do it every time.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 am

bovirus wrote:Should be possible to have in future revision a default configuration without "quickstart" connectuon
Sorry, but I don't think that this will happen.
bovirus wrote:and "modulation" set as "MULTIMODE"
Multimode has different values (0xff or 0x1) depending on versions of the DSP/tiatm drivers. There is no one value that means multimode for every combination. We use 0xff, which is correct for some combinations.
bovirus wrote:and "USB" option off?
It is always off by default.
bovirus wrote:Every time that I load the firmware in the modem the first three steps that I have always to setup:
- Delete "quickstart" not editable connection to create new one with right parameters
- Set Moulation to multimode
- Set USB off because save memory and in modem/router it's not possible to ahve ethernet and USB both active in the same time.

If this feature are in this state in standatd firmware (are leaded as default parameter) the user can avoid to do it every time.
These changes, if necessary, take only a few seconds to make. They are not that much of a problem, since you don't change your firmware everyday.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:35 am

The "quickstart" default is quick to edit for UK PPPoA connections - my browser remembers what to change!

I thought the modulation was stored in the environment - I don't have to change it when switching between RouterTech firmwares - isn't only a problem when switching from an original equipment firmware?

I haven't used usb for a while, but it used to work at the same time as Ethernet, useful on single Ethernet port routers - is that now broken?
bovirus
Regular
Regular

Post by bovirus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 am

mstombs wrote:The "quickstart" default is quick to edit for UK PPPoA connections - my browser remembers what to change!

I thought the modulation was stored in the environment - I don't have to change it when switching between RouterTech firmwares - isn't only a problem when switching from an original equipment firmware?

I haven't used usb for a while, but it used to work at the same time as Ethernet, useful on single Ethernet port routers - is that now broken?
If you load RT from original Dlink (typical Job) with the default DSP Modulation is blank.
If you load RT with stad DSP you know which DSP version is and should eba easy set the corresponding value for modulation.

Regarding teh USB and Ethernet (both actiive) please take care that all manufacturer (not only for modem) make a note for product with USB & ethernet port to use only a port at time.

I loaded the RT 2.91 on Dlink DSL-300T (AR7 Adam2 1 port) and in the web configuration - The USB port it's available (I should remove it and left enabled just ethernet).
I did it to save more RAM as possible.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:56 am

bovirus wrote:If you load RT from original Dlink (typical Job) with the default DSP Modulation is blank.
If you load RT with stad DSP you know which DSP version is and should eba easy set the corresponding value for modulation.
The modulation is stored in both the environment and the config. Until you save the RT config, the only thing that exists is what is in the environment - which could be anything. It takes one second to select multimode. I don't see what the issue is.
bovirus wrote:Regarding teh USB and Ethernet (both actiive) please take care that all manufacturer (not only for modem) make a note for product with USB & ethernet port to use only a port at time.

I loaded the RT 2.91 on Dlink DSL-300T (AR7 Adam2 1 port) and in the web configuration - The USB port it's available (I should remove it and left enabled just ethernet).
I did it to save more RAM as possible.
As I said, USB is disabled by default. It is only enabled if there is a "usb_enable 1" in the environment.