Where does Windows 7 store Wireless Connection information?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Tsear

Where does Windows 7 store Wireless Connection information?

Post by Tsear » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Hello Router Tech,

I have an unusual problem. I share an old router with my neighbors (they're not home right now, so unfortunately I don't know which model). Earlier this afternoon, they power cycled the router. Since then, I can no longer connect to the router - in fact, I don't even see the existence of the connection in my list of wireless connections. My computer can still connect to other wireless networks just fine. I also have a laptop from work that wasn't connected to the router when it was power cycled, and this second computer can still see the connection and connect to it just fine.
What I think happened is that the files on my computer that identify the connection have somehow been corrupted, causing the computer to glitch and no longer see the existence of the network I want to connect to. To fix this, I've tried to remove the connection via Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Wireless Networks, but this hasn't fixed the problem. I suspect that if I can find where Windows 7 stores wireless connection information, then I can delete those files and will be able to again connect to the wireless network.
Do any of you know where this information is stored? Alternatively, do you have any other ideas of what I should try?

Thanks a bunch for your help!
duke
Regular
Regular

Re: Where does Windows 7 store Wireless Connection informati

Post by duke » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:35 am

:twisted:

do the neighbors know lol

anyway
probably they changed the password / or have setup a password to the wifi network

or have hidden the Acess point(router) so no beacon is transmitted
maybe they also changed the name of the router

it may be one of the things or all of the above

you will have to go next door and login to the router homepage (gateway)through a machine that can still connect or over ethernet

and reenter the details in your "network and sharing center" in win7