Netgear DG834GT with sky firmware.

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

Netgear DG834GT with sky firmware.

Post by KeithSloan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:54 pm

I wanted to run router stats on my sisters router to monitor line noise. She is with sky so has a Netgear DG834GT with Sky firmware on it.

I tried to telnet to the router but no joy.

1) Is there a way to turn on telnetd for this router ?
2) Did I miss something like the firewall being in the way.

Thanks Keith
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Can you login via ssh?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

ssh

Post by KeithSloan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:34 pm

Windows does not have ssh unless I am mistaken.

Also not sure what good it would do anyway as Router Stats uses telnet as far as I understood.
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: ssh

Post by SyBorg » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:36 pm

KeithSloan wrote:Windows does not have ssh unless I am mistaken.

Also not sure what good it would do anyway as Router Stats uses telnet as far as I understood.
Download putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

Putty

Post by KeithSloan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:50 pm

I will give putty a try.

But as I said before I doubt it will be any good even if it worked. My understanding of the "Router Stats" application is that it uses telnet and uses .Net to drive the telnet so will not be able to change to ssh or putty
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: ssh

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:53 pm

KeithSloan wrote:Windows does not have ssh unless I am mistaken.

As Sy said, you can download putty. It's a pretty good ssh client for Windows. As for what good it would do, if you can get in, you can build a telnetd or utelnetd for the router, download it into the /var directory, set its executable flags, and run it. That would give you telnet access right away (until the next router reboot, when you have to do all the downloading again).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm pretty sure that SKY have locked down the netgear router supplied to stop this sort oc access - although I believe that there's a thriving scene outher working to circumvent the lockdown - I believe they are using sme form of "http injection" to run scripts.....

for example http://www.asininemonkey.com/netgear-dg ... cking.html

and try googling for others.... :wink:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

putty

Post by KeithSloan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Tried putty but it did not work trying to ssh
KeithSloan
Regular
Regular

Post by KeithSloan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:53 pm

Shokotan. Yes you can run commands according to the web page, but as it states "I like many other knowledgeable subscribers were disheartened to find that the branded NETGEAR DG834GT Sky are using has had its Telnet server password protected as a result of Sky's customisations to the NETGEAR firmware. Any attempt to launch the server using the debug mode described above is met with a login prompt once you connect your Telnet client to the router. Trying various username/password combinations gets you nowhere."

So the prospect of running "Router Stats" which needs telnet is not going to work.

Thanks anyways guys.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:00 pm

KeithSloan wrote:Shokotan. Yes you can run commands according to the web page, but as it states "I like many other knowledgeable subscribers were disheartened to find that the branded NETGEAR DG834GT Sky are using has had its Telnet server password protected as a result of Sky's customisations to the NETGEAR firmware. Any attempt to launch the server using the debug mode described above is met with a login prompt once you connect your Telnet client to the router. Trying various username/password combinations gets you nowhere."

So the prospect of running "Router Stats" which needs telnet is not going to work.

Thanks anyways guys.
Sorry Keith - didn't mean to mislead you - I was actually trying to say that it wouldn't work because the html injection was the only way to get commands executed :cry:
Jim

eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:45 am

This should help gain your username/password these are also some tweeks that can be carried out, these are also noted on the site.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:14 am

Nice One EmU :D
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:47 pm

I have created a little test app to see if the methods described here http://www.asininemonkey.com/netgear-dg ... _Injection would make it possible to fetch the stats programatically from a locked-down NetGear.

If it does work (I don't know if the login details are required so they have been included) then the text box should display the contents of the modem stats (page).

Anyone willing to give it a go? The timeouts are 2 x 30 seconds, so it may take up to a minute to complete.

Download UI Router Stats
Last edited by Neo on Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:34 pm

Resurrection man strikes again :wink:

Neo - should your little test util work on non-netgear routers ? :)
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:29 pm

Thanks to Shoto's bumping of this thread I'v just noticed this
eMuNiX wrote:This should help gain your username/password these are also some tweeks that can be carried out, these are also noted on the site.
Huge thanks to emu for finding that, I've had a number of students who've been asking me how to get their sky username and password after signing up for sky thinking it was a good deal then finding they can't use alternative equipment. I can now get them setup with something much more RouterTech orientated so cheers :D
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!