Want a router that allows time limits

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
mjj

Want a router that allows time limits

Post by mjj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi,

I am looking at ways to enforce strict times for wifi internet usage within my household. My kids are spending far too much time in front of their computers. I am looking for a router that offers the following:

1) Scheduled times for specific devices e.g. I want to limit usage on my sons PC but not on other devices
2) Multiple schedules e.g Mondays 1700 - 1900 / Saturdays 1000 - 1200 etc

I currently have an old Billion 7800N router that appears to offer this functionality (via Ethernet MAC filter) but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Regards

MJ
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Want a router that allows time limits

Post by Alan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:35 am

Hi,

Asus have parent controls in there routers. I use the RT-N66U. It's one of there older routers now, but still supported by Asus and third party firmware is available. I use Asuswrt-Merlin firmware which knocks the socks off stock firmware :D
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Question though , Couldn't your kids just reset the router ?

Assuming they know the pppoe details ( which over here is pretty easy to obtain ). Even if they got the change to log into the router just once under the right circumstances gives them the chance to use a little javascript ( eg document.getElementById("pppoe_pass").value - worked on my old router ).
Maybe they'd go as far as using a keylogger for when you log into the router :O

The only way my father could ever keep me off the internet would be by taking the router to work...
Just a reminder that physical access == root access .

Lock that puppy up XD
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:26 am

Yes, they could log into the router, I would have thought a very long and secure password should stop them though. The router can always be hard reset as well, but if that was done you would hope they couldn't carry on serving with default settings. Ie you could change your ip range to be different to the default range, give whichever devices they use a static ip, and they should be locked out.
End of the day if they are savey enough they could get around your efforts. Taking the router to work is very secure :D locking it up in a cupboard may also work :D
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 am

Unless of course they have more than one router at home which daddy dearest forgets about :mrgreen:

I might not understand completely , but even with changing the ip ranges and setting static ip addresses wouldn't an ipconfig/iwconfig still reveal the gateway in which case if they did have the password ( or even without ) logging in would still be trivial XD
Or am i missing something :p?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:13 am

How would they login without the password?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Just reset the router or try birthdates or names.

Getting the pppoe password is as simple as calling the isp from your home phone :p
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:18 pm

How about writing a program to just attempt to ping google during specific time periods and then do an ipconfig /release if the server is reached?

I wrote a similar application for a friend ages ago , should i rewrite it and post the source?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:21 pm

RagingGrim wrote:Just reset the router
And somehow the parent will not know that the router has been reset?
RagingGrim wrote:or try birthdates or names.
A parent who uses a password that someone else can easily work out deserves whatever is coming to him/her.
RagingGrim wrote:Getting the pppoe password is as simple as calling the isp from your home phone :p
Any ISP staff that gives out that information on the phone without a significant number of security checks needs to be fired.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Obviously if you were trying to do something sneaky you wouldn't do it so simply.

Almost all of my friends setup their routers so I think the better approach do this would be to set strict rules. After a reboot any settings on the router should be easy to guess ... if that's even relevant most parents wouldnt notice that the router has been reset unless they explicitly logged in to check the settings which is only a problem if they know some networking.

Heck people here in sa dont configure routers they just let tech support do it or use a cd.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Ah well ...
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:46 pm

Hah! Third world country for the win! ...

Nah nvm... didnt work out that well :/
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:02 pm

If your 'Kids' are up to cracking passwords, ringing your isp for logon details, figuring out how to take their device off static IP, then I don't think your going to be able to stop you kids undoing all your security!!
RagingGrim
Novice
Novice

Post by RagingGrim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:44 am

Im 17 , im up to it :P
BilboBagger

Post by BilboBagger » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:15 pm

thechief wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:13 am
How would they login without the password?
https://seriale.best/
Getting rid of passwords completely?