Multiple SSID ?

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Multiple SSID ?

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi,

Anyone know how multiple SSID wireless features are "supposed" to work ?

I appreciate that once it's set up the you can use QoS and VLAN etc to segregate and prioritise traffic etc. but I kind of thought that by definition when enabled properly (so I might not be doing it right) I would expect to see both router wireless ssid's with netstumbler...... :?

So am I missing something obvious ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:21 pm

Who knows? To be honest, I don't quite see the point of it.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:29 pm

thechief wrote:Who knows? To be honest, I don't quite see the point of it.
I can see the point of the multiple wireless vlan side of it as it allows you to host a secured and a public wireless "segment" side by side with different security and QoS etc.....
Jim

mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Before it died my 'free' FON router had a private SSID and a public SSID through to the FON web portal. Both appeared on a network survey on sam channel.

I've seen people use multiple SSIDs to have a different protection for devices that don't support WPA2 - needs to be only temporary though or defeats the object (which one would a hacket attack?)
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:24 pm

Anyone out there got this feature working who can comment ?
Jim

Powmillion
Novice
Novice

Re: Multiple SSID ?

Post by Powmillion » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Jim,

Not been around for a while but I came across this ancient post of yours while I was trying to do the same thing.

Long story but I have wanted to have the multiply SSIDs for a while but because I was using WDS I could only use WEP and multiple SSIDs weren't allowed.
The bridge is no more, so I was upping the wireless security and also looked at the SSID thing.

Still using the Solwise firmware - too chicken to use the Routertech stuff so far!

I think it is working the way I want. Second SSID with no MAC filtering on it etc to make life easier when brothers etc want to 'borrow' an internet connection for a while.

inSSIDer shows me the two SSIDs, obviously since there is only one radio then they share a channel but I have now got the two subnets each with a connection to the internet and they seem to be isolated okay as required.

If you are still interested, I can send you the details of my settings.

Douglas