Wireless client

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
rtfree

Wireless client

Post by rtfree » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Hello
I am using a routertech 2.92 firmware on my router, and works perfectly.

Have you ever planned to let the router be an AP Client ? I use this item as an AP only, but I would like to use it as an Wi-Fi AP Client to let my ip phone and my pc connect wirelessly to the main AP using the 4 port switch.

Is planned an AP Client mode on this items?

Thank you
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Wireless client

Post by thechief » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 pm

If I understand you correctly, what you want is WDS. If so, this feature is already in the 1350A wireless firmwares - however, I am yet to hear of one person who has used it successfully.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:51 pm

I think wireless client mode is something specific to Broadcom, and can be enabled in Ethernet routers with dd-wrt or Tomato etc. This allows the wireless interface to become a WAN port by connecting as a client to a remote router. Wouldn't know where to look in AR7 based ADSL routers - do any routers with AR7 chipset support this?
rtfree

Post by rtfree » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am

Hello
thank you for your attention.

Well, I dont want WDS, I just need to use the router as an "hardware wireless client" to enable some devices connected to the eth ports, to communicate to the wi-fi lan.

WIFI_LAN ---> AP -----> HARDWARE_CLIENT ---> 4port switch ---> PC, IP PHONE, XBOX, etc

I used in the past WDS correctly on 3com wifi routers, but I don't want to have AP repeaters.

Thank you
hiteck
Regular
Regular

Post by hiteck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:37 pm

IMHO, Wireless clients are just as important as APs.
Routertech devs could find Wireless client module info from the OpenWrt AR7 project. See Kamikaze 8.09 AR7 builds. Hopefully this will help provide RT client mode support in future AR7 builds. Sources are here...

http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/

FYI... This OpenWrt build runs on the Actiontec Gt701 in Client mode (unbridged only! ), and AP mode of course. Maybe Gt704 also? I am using client mode now. Just delete the (dsl) NAS0 device, bridge the wlan0 to the WAN, instead of the LAN interface. Then select Client mode under wlan0 setup (all in Luci GUI). Note: The ACX driver for the TI chip in it does not seem to support WPA or WDS, but VPN might be possible to secure the link?

I also got RT 2.94 running on another Actiontec Gt-701 by using the RT firmware tool to split the image into separate kernel and FS files. Then used RRT to flash, allowing automatic MTD settings. I did this after bricking it with a single RT image file. Thanks to RRT devs. PPPoA also works using Qwest ISP.
Fabry
Novice
Novice

Post by Fabry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 pm

There are hopes to activate w. client mode on 1130 chipset with routertech fw 2.95 ?

On openwrt's forum is written that wireless client mode (on AR7 router) can be obtained with:
  • WDS and repeater mode
  • Wireless chip in client mode (not ap mode) and bridged to Wan
  • Wireless chip in client mode (not ap mode) and routed (natted) to Wan
Chipset 1130 don't have WDS and bridge possibilities but it can be routed (all chipset can be used in client mode and then routed with NAT).

Is it possible (from telnet console) to reconfigure Wireless chip to client mode and then nat it under RouterTech 2.95 ?
I don't want to install OpenWrt only to use the client mode
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Fabry wrote:Is it possible (from telnet console) to reconfigure Wireless chip to client mode and then nat it under RouterTech 2.95 ?
No.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 am

The ACX driver for the TI chip in it does not seem to support WPA
Pretty useless then ... and does OpenWRT have any support for the 1350 wireless chip yet?

Similar wireless chips are used in PC wireless cards, so no surprise the OpenSource ACX has some support, there's also a leaked old version of the Ti wireless driver around.
LostCell

Post by LostCell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 pm

I have just tested this days openwrt on dg834G v2 i think with ti7300 and TNETW1130GVF wifi minipci

conclusion: wireless client mode works only routed no bridge but has one major bug: is not working with wep, if i set wep key i can't conect to any other acces point using wep(this one is ok,tested with other devices instead of dg834g) without wep everything is working fine.And even if i set dg834g as acces point still not working with wep no device can be associated to dg834g.so..wep not working :shakehead: and..no wpa support yet. :shakehead:

what i have is adsl router, i don't care about adsl,here at me we use fttb, can routertech be instaled on this router?(i want to use vlan capability of rt) and wifi as ap.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm

LostCell wrote:I have just tested this days openwrt on dg834G v2 i think with ti7300 and TNETW1130GVF wifi minipci ... can routertech be instaled on this router?
firmware-faq/#netgear_v2
rospo
Novice
Novice

Post by rospo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 pm

hiteck wrote:IMHO, Wireless clients are just as important as APs.
Routertech devs could find Wireless client module info from the OpenWrt AR7 project. See Kamikaze 8.09 AR7 builds. Hopefully this will help provide RT client mode support in future AR7 builds. Sources are here...

http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/

FYI... This OpenWrt build runs on the Actiontec Gt701 in Client mode (unbridged only! ), and AP mode of course. Maybe Gt704 also? I am using client mode now. Just delete the (dsl) NAS0 device, bridge the wlan0 to the WAN, instead of the LAN interface. Then select Client mode under wlan0 setup (all in Luci GUI). Note: The ACX driver for the TI chip in it does not seem to support WPA or WDS, but VPN might be possible to secure the link?

I also got RT 2.94 running on another Actiontec Gt-701 by using the RT firmware tool to split the image into separate kernel and FS files. Then used RRT to flash, allowing automatic MTD settings. I did this after bricking it with a single RT image file. Thanks to RRT devs. PPPoA also works using Qwest ISP.
Hi. I have a Qwest branded ActionTec GT701Wg router/modem as yours. I would like to flash RT on it. I tried with OpenWRT, but its firmware broke the router. I was able to restore original actiontec firmware. adam2 not corrupted.

I run linux, I use TNFTP to flash images. I would appreciate if you could explain step by step how to flash the RT firmware onto this router. There's a lot of people around trying to do it. Thanks.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 pm

rospo wrote:Hi. I have a Qwest branded ActionTec GT701Wg router/modem as yours. I would like to flash RT on it. I tried with OpenWRT, but its firmware broke the router. I was able to restore original actiontec firmware. adam2 not corrupted.

I run linux, I use TNFTP to flash images. I would appreciate if you could explain step by step how to flash the RT firmware onto this router. There's a lot of people around trying to do it. Thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4027&p=48592#p48592
rospo
Novice
Novice

Post by rospo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 am

thechief wrote:
rospo wrote:Hi. I have a Qwest branded ActionTec GT701Wg router/modem as yours. I would like to flash RT on it. I tried with OpenWRT, but its firmware broke the router. I was able to restore original actiontec firmware. adam2 not corrupted.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4027&p=48592#p48592
Thanks. I've got it working! I splitted the firmware with wine firmware_tool.exe , then used tnftp (xferbuf 512) to put filesystem to mtd0 and kernel to mtd1. Rebooted and got it working! Thanks a lot!

Here's a little howto for gnu/linux users. See this before:

http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs% ... ngAR7.html

and use tnftp instead of ftp. For some reason, ftp freezes when tryng to upload the new
firmware image. Somewhere I found that under linux we have to use tnftp with xferbuf=512 option.

1) split the RT firmware image using wine RT firmware_tool.exe

Let's say the last RT firmware is: RouterTech_3.6.0D_20110103_2.95_AR7WRD_Adam2_1-Port_firmware.upgrade.img; after splitting it with "wine RT firmware_tool.exe", you will get in the same directory 2 new files:

a) RouterTech_3.6.0D_20110103_2.95_AR7WRD_Adam2_1-Port_firmware.upgrade.filesystem.bin
b) RouterTech_3.6.0D_20110103_2.95_AR7WRD_Adam2_1-Port_firmware.upgrade.kernel.bin

2) ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.100

3) unplug router; plug router and while power led is red, do step 4

4) tnftp 192.168.0.1 (ftp will not work, because it does not have xferbuf 512 - at least I don't know how to set it)

Connected to 192.168.0.1.
220 ADAM2 FTP Server ready.
Name (192.168.0.1:user): adam2
Password:adam2
230 User adam2 successfully logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.

ftp> binary
ftp> quote MEDIA FLSH
ftp> xferbuf 512
ftp> put RouterTech_3.6.0D_20110103_2.95_AR7WRD_Adam2_1-Port_firmware.upgrade.filesystem.bin "filesystem.bin mtd0"

wait for the transfer to finish;

ftp> put RouterTech_3.6.0D_20110103_2.95_AR7WRD_Adam2_1-Port_firmware.upgrade.kernel.bin "kernel.bin mtd1"

wait for the transfer to finish;

ftp> quote REBOOT

Wait for the router reboots.

That's all. Have fun!

Edit: name of "Firmware Tool" binary corrected by thechief
Last edited by rospo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for this additional tutorial for Linux users. But please note that mtd0 and mtd1 need to be correctly set first - otherwise, the router will not boot.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am

Any explanation why this procedure needed? Its just luck isn't it that the old mtd1 an 0 are appropriate size for RT kernel and filesystem? Is it not possible to flash combined image with bootloader (too big maybe?). If mtd4 set can subsequent upgrades be done using web gui and single image?