Setting up WDS

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
comprishi
Novice
Novice

Setting up WDS

Post by comprishi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:11 pm

I have a Aztech 605EW router.There are few unencrypted Wifi hotspots which cannot be acessed inside the house but when I am at roof they can be easily accessed. SO I thought of Using my 605EW router as a Bridge. So that I can plug a cable from terestrial antenna to the DSL router's Wifi antenna and then acess internet via LAN connection.
IS this Possible?

If YES then how?
Please help .
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Setting up WDS

Post by thechief » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Do you have permission to use these access points?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
comprishi
Novice
Novice

Post by comprishi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:00 am

Yes . It is a free Wifi hotspot provided by the ISP.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:34 am

I don't know of anyone who has managed to get WDS working. You probably need identical routers at both ends of the WDS setup, and one of them needs to be set as the "root device". Anyway, read this document.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 am

You can do what the OP requires with Ethernet routers that work with Tomato or dd-wrt firmware. These have a "wireless client" mode where they can use the Wireless as a WAN port, and some have a "wireless repeater" mode. You would also need the shortest possible correct antenna extension cable, and correct antenna - possibly a directional Yagi.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 am

I can now confirm that WDS can be configured to work (in Crude mode only). See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4620