DSL-G604T Wireless

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
DreigonDragon

DSL-G604T Wireless

Post by DreigonDragon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:25 am

G'day everyone :)

I have the D-Link DSL-G604T-Generation II which was recently bricked from a bad software update (Bad D-Link Bad!). Now I have long since unbricked it with a few helpful posts I have found through "searching" the forums from people such as the chief (Thanks Chief!).

However this is the new problem that arose from the unbricking, my WiFi isn't working whatsoever (LED for WLAN - Link/Act is not lit) but there was no issues with it prior to the modem getting bricked xD strangely enough however, everything else such as LAN, Internet (ADSL) is working fine :S

So far I have tried echo "begin;ap:settings/ap_enabled;end" | cm_cli command but nothing was outputted, so I tried echo "begin;ap:settings/ap_enabled=1;end" | cm_cli -l then echo "begin;ap:settings/ap_enabled;end" | cm_cli and this time I was returned with the number one stating that it's been enabled this time, however rebooting the modem or even leaving it for a while after trying those commands does nothing to enabling the WiFi radio, nor does going into the web interface at 10.1.1.1 then manually enabling the AP (including Force AP reset) does nothing.

My Modem's Details as follows

Name and Model : D-Link DSL-G604T-Generation II
Firmware : DLinkAU_DSL-G604T V3.02B01T01.AU.20091223
Bootloader: PSP Bootloader Version 1.3.7.15

For the sake of keeping the post as short as possible, the outputs from cat /proc/ticfg/env, cat /proc/modules, cat /proc/interrupts and cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_ver are located at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/337213/Others/DSLG604T.txt

Additionally, RUC has stated that the Wireless access point may be disabled and that core logic could not be read. The log of RUC is located here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/337213/Others/r ... report.txt

Thanks,
-Dreigon
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: DSL-G604T Wireless

Post by thechief » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:54 am

Sounds like the one with a 1350A wireless chipset (called the 2640T in other places). If so, then you need to ensure you have the correct firmware for that wireless chipset. Also, depending on the firmware you use, you might need to set "NVS_TFTP_LOAD" to 0 (zero) in the environment. Currently, it is set to 1 (one).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
DreigonDragon

Post by DreigonDragon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:23 am

Excuse the really late reply, I put aside the modem for a long while and forgot all about it till now xD

I can't seem to do a setenv NVS_TFTP_LOAD 0 command on the modem, it throws an error stating setenv "no such file or directory"
I feel as if I'm doing something wrong here but I have no idea what xD

Thanks for your reply chief :D
- Dreigon
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:26 am

Your firmware doesn't support "setenv". Try this

Code: Select all

echo "NVS_TFTP_LOAD 0" > /proc/ticfg/env
/sbin/reboot
I suspect that your problem is more serious than simply setting NVS_TFTP_LOAD. However, try and see.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
DreigonDragon

Post by DreigonDragon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 pm

thechief wrote:Your firmware doesn't support "setenv". Try this

/sbin/reboot
I suspect that your problem is more serious than simply setting NVS_TFTP_LOAD. However, try and see.
I had an idea and connected to the modem's bootloader via FTP and tried the command "quote SETENV NVS_TFTP_LOAD,0" (case sensitive)
That worked well and managed to set it to 0 as verified by PC Tool.

However, upon rebooting the modem's status light stopped flashing and the modem was unresponsive to everything but FTP and hid at some really random IP Address (192.168.1.1 instead of the usual 10.1.1.1).

Is there anything I can do from here?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:00 pm

What else did you do? Changing an environment variable should not brick the router, or change its default IP address.

At this point, you may want to check the contents of the environment (you can retrieve it with the PCTool).
DreigonDragon

Post by DreigonDragon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:31 pm

thechief wrote:What else did you do? Changing an environment variable should not brick the router, or change its default IP address.

At this point, you may want to check the contents of the environment (you can retrieve it with the PCTool).
All I did was did "quote REBOOT" in FTP, then waited for the modem for 15 minutes before checking it again. As for the environmental variables, it's for some reason lost a good chunk of it. A copy paste of what was left over is:

BUILD_OPS 0x301
bootloaderVersion 1.3.7.15
ProductID AR7WRD
IPA 10.0.0.1
MAC_PORT 0
MEMSZ 0x01000000
FLASHSZ 0x00400000
MODETTY0 38400,n,8,1,hw
MODETTY1 38400,n,8,1,hw
CPUFREQ 211968000
MIPSFREQ 211968000
SYSFREQ 105984000

I have manually set the environment variables for the mtd values again and the rest of the stuff that "should" be there.
At the moment I am waiting for it to 'reboot', is there something wrong with that I did? Was I not supposed to do a reboot from FTP?

Thanks! Chief :D
- Dreigon
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:07 pm

You can reboot from ftp. I think your environment was probably so fragmented that it got trashed (not the first time that something like that would happen). So the bootloader created a fresh default environment - but one that is not sufficient to make the router boot up. Just as well that you had a backup of the environment with the RUC output.
DreigonDragon

Post by DreigonDragon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 am

thechief wrote:You can reboot from ftp. I think your environment was probably so fragmented that it got trashed (not the first time that something like that would happen). So the bootloader created a fresh default environment - but one that is not sufficient to make the router boot up. Just as well that you had a backup of the environment with the RUC output.
Yeah good thing I did have a backup :) but for good measure I reflashed the modem's firmware using an exe I found on the D-link support pages for my modem. Modem works fine and is booting up without a hitch. However, the modem again fails to enable the wireless radio.

I went with the earlier command you requested
/sbin/reboot
via telnet, and the modem took a very long time to reboot (14 minutes with only the power light lit), but when that was done, the status light, the lan lights lit up as usual, modem is able to connect to the internet via ADSL2+ and I used it to get online and post this reply.

Again however, the Wifi light is not lit, and none of my devices can see the wireless access point, regardless of the settings i set in the modem's configuration page.

I went onwards to use the RouterTech Firmware Tool v0.97b to check the router and was thrown a very nice message, a copy of the message is below:
You seem to have a wireless router, BUT no wireless driver! Enable your wireless AP, and start again. Otherwise, you are on your own!
I attempted to go to the 1350A Wireless TAB and select "Get Details from router", I was thrown with the following message
I cannot find the TNETW ID. Perhaps your wireless is okay (or not enabled)?
Is there anything else i can do from here?

Thanks again Chief :D
- Dreigon
DreigonDragon

Post by DreigonDragon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:03 am

Actually, upon checking the logs produced by the modem I found some very interesting lines.
Those lines are below

*AP Acquiring Lock
*AP REPORT LOCK ACQUIRED
*wlan_handle_load_event - Acquired AP Lock
*Read EEPROM failed
*AP IS DOWN
*Error: Failed to get a valid EEPROM Image.
*AP IS DOWN
*NVS_TFTP_LOAD is enabled to download the correct EEPROM image during next boot. Set TFTP Server Address using IPA_SVR Environment Variable
*AP IS DOWN
*Setting bootloader Environment NVS_TFTP_LOAD to 1
*AP IS DOWN
*AP Releasing Lock
*64k Freed
*Cleanup Finished, good-bye
DreigonDragon

Post by DreigonDragon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 am

WOOOO~! Managed to get it to work perfectly now :D

What I basically did was create a random 1350A Wireless Environment using RouterTech Firmware Tool v0.97b, with the correct MAC Address, but a very random TNETW ID.

From there I connected to my modem via telnet and manually entered the echo "<environment name> <environment variable>" > /proc/ticfg/env
For every single line that was not found on the modem, with the ones that was generated, then did /sbin/reboot

The modem threw an error, talking about the TNETW ID being wrong and promptly displayed the "correct" TNETW ID. I took this code and re-built the 1350A Wireless Environment with RouterTech Firmware Tool v0.97b. Then again manually entered the values via telnet.

After one very long reboot, the wireless led was lit, wireless works flawlessly and the modem is now fully functional :D

Thanks for your help Chief :D Couldn't have done it without your awesome help and tools
-Dreigon
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:13 pm

You're welcome :)