Netgear WG902-4SKUKS

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Netgear WG902-4SKUKS

Post by eMuNiX » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 pm

These are supplied by Sky to connect to your Sky+ box for wireless connectivity. I can find no other information about them on the Netgear site and was really wondering if they can be used on any other equipment. Knowing that the Netgear router firmware is severely hobbled with many features missing I am guessing that this wireless connector is also limited in what it can be used for. Any thoughts?
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Netgear WG902-4SKUKS

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm

The source code can be found here http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/ ... rogrammers

Don't know if thechief can look see if he can unlock some stuff for you?
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:23 pm

I don't have one, and, tbh, I wouldn't be motivated to hack the firmware, if I did. I find that using WDS on 1350A wireless routers (Linksys WAG200G running RouterTech 2.96) does the job for me on my Sky+ HD boxes (two boxes). I refused to pay extra for the Sky device (bought 3 Linksys WAG200G on Ebay for less than Sky wanted).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:58 pm

The Sky device was free, just came through the post and, other than sticking it on eBay, wondered if I can do anything else with it. At present it is just a useless lump sitting in it's box.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Lucky you! They wanted £60 from me :roll: - I said "no thanks, mate!". My 3 Linksys WAG200G cost about £9 each (incl. postage) - and I'd rather have three 1350A routers running RouterTech than one unknown repeater. :P

It is possible that it is just a wireless repeater (it could also be possibly used as an access point). You could always use it to extend the wireless range in your house (or keep it in the loft for a rainy day!).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:06 am

So little information out there about it. What I think it is, it is essentially just a means of adding wireless connection to something like the Sky box or an Xbox360, I don't think it can be used as anything other than a Wifi adaptor. A widdle black box that connects to ethernet and simply picks up wifi signals, I don't think (certainly in it's current guise) can be used to do much more than receive. It would be great if I could hook it up to extend my wifi around the house, 4 storeys of Victorian town house aren't great for wireless :?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:19 pm

It is described as a "Wireless AP Client" here: http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_cer ... id=WFA9426

Somebody managed to sell one for £42 on ebay in September 2011 (perhaps before Sky started giving them away!).