Internet speed lower and packet loss on router

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
efaj

Internet speed lower and packet loss on router

Post by efaj » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 am

My Internet speed is lower and there's packet loss, ranging from 17%-70%+ (according to tests on speedtest.net and pingtest.net) when using the wireless router. However, computers connected directly to the modem/router don't have this issues. The wireless router was already configured as access point (not right now as I daily keep toying with settings to try to narrow it myself, but it's the same access point or not). Please help, I've realized after months and buying a new wireless router that I won't be able to do it by myself.

Full Story:
My old setup: D-Link DSL-524B <- Belkin Wireless N150
It worked all great and I had downloads of 220~ kbps
But, suddenly, it stopped being like that some months ago and started slowing down. However, a desktop comp plugged to the 524B directly was all fine. The Belkin's Internet light would also turn off once around every 5 secs (the intervals were always different)
I got fed up and thought it was the Belkin (I had previously tried changing the cables, including using the desktop's to no change at all) and got a D-Link DIR-600. Maybe I was fooling myself but at the start it all seemed back to normal.
But now it's again slow and with that Internet light issue.
Recently, I found out that there's also packet loss... from 18% to 50%+. Also, it was hard to get the router to connect to the modem after the slow down came back until I went to the modem and turned on IGMP snooping. Which leads me to believe that that modem which is totally unknown to me might be the cause... as around the start of the issues with the Belkin, our ISP called us to get me to enable remote access... so what settings can I change in the modem that may be the cause that ONLY the router has this packet loss?
For example, my bro's laptop when wireless had lag in his games. When plugged to the Dir-600, he had too. But when I plugged it into the modem, it had none and was flawless.
This has also been tested with speedtest.net and pingtest.net
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Internet speed lower and packet loss on router

Post by thechief » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 am

Any number of things can cause issues with wireless - a congested wireless channel, interference from microwaves and all sorts of other things floating in the air, incompatibilities between server and client hardware/software, etc. You need to go through a process of elimination. First, change the wireless channel, and see whether anything improves. Then check for anything that could interfere (even cars outside can interfere).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
efaj

Post by efaj » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Passed from channel 6 to channel 11. Same...
The same happens to computers plugged directly into the wireless router. So, it's not quite the wireless, but the wireless router in general.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:20 pm

The problem might be the interface between the modem and router. Which device is dishing out the IP addresses? Does this problem affect file transfers inside the network?

And who knows whether it has anything to do with remote access? Why would your ISP want you to enable remote access (more importantly, why would you want them to be able to access your router remotely?).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
AK47

Post by AK47 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 pm

thechief wrote:The problem might be the interface between the modem and router. Which device is dishing out the IP addresses? Does this problem affect file transfers inside the network?

And who knows whether it has anything to do with remote access? Why would your ISP want you to enable remote access (more importantly, why would you want them to be able to access your router remotely?).
That is just creepy to have a possible ISP with remote access in to you home network. I agree with thechief on that. I would buy a net router if someone had access on my router.
AK47

Post by AK47 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:53 pm

did that get fixed?