Help on linking two modem routers together.....PLEASE!!!!!

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
rosstheboss1972

Help on linking two modem routers together.....PLEASE!!!!!

Post by rosstheboss1972 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Hello everyone. I have a Netgear DG834G V3 Modem router in a room downstairs attached to the phone line. My son has a computer upstairs which hasn't got a wireless adapter card so he cannot use the internet signal unless i buy an adaptor etc etc. I do however have another modem router that I thought I could connect to the computer in his room via its ethernet port (wired) and then feed the wireless signal from downstairs into his computer via the router via the ethernet cable. Is this possible and how can I set it up?

Thank you

Ross
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Help on linking two modem routers together.....PLEASE!!!

Post by thechief » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 pm

You can do it if both routers support WDS. The Netgear should. But you have told us nothing about the second router, other than that it exists.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
rosstheboss1972

Post by rosstheboss1972 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:44 am

yes sorry about that..its a Thomson TG585 V7. Thanks
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Well, if it supports WDS, then you may be able to do what you want. If not, then you will need to get another router that supports WDS - preferably running the same firmware, as WDS can be a bit fiddly and fussy.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.