Outputting Multiple Networks

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
That1Guy

Outputting Multiple Networks

Post by That1Guy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:41 am

Hello! First time poster, (hopefully) long time member.

I'm having an issue with my Airlink 101 router. It's creating multiple networks. All with the same WEP and name. I've gone into my router and haven't found anything that allows me to delete or add networks. There is only a menu to change the existing one.

Just a picture of the networks that show up.

Here's my router settings for wireless

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
duke
Regular
Regular

Re: Outputting Multiple Networks

Post by duke » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:20 pm

remove any unwanted or ‘duplicated’ networks:
Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks (in the left pane) and right-click the one you want to Remove. :mrgreen:

reboot your computer and your wifi router
then check again

if new one's start showing up

do determine which wireless networks are within your router’s range:
In a Run window (Windows key+R), type cmd /k netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid (note the six spaces) and press Enter or, for a fuller display type cmd /k netsh wlan show all. If you want a nice graphical display download, install and run inSSIDer

here http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider Simply select your wireless adapter from the drop-down menu and click Start Scanning. Make a note of any likely sounding names that could have been set up by you
That1Guy

Post by That1Guy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Thank you for the quick answer!

However, the networks still crop up, even when I remove them. The inSSIDer doesn't show any extra networks from my router, though. It's confusing.

Before I leave it as is, I have a question.

Since I seem to be getting multiple networks from the same SSID, does that affect my routers performance at all? If it's outputting three networks, does each network only work 1/3rd as well?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 am

It is obviously something peculiar to this router or its current firmware. Perhaps that is how it implements some of its extra "Super" features. Why not try a standard wireless B/G mode and see if you still have the same issues?

Have you read the router's documentation to see whether this "feature" is documented?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
duke
Regular
Regular

Post by duke » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:11 pm

duplicate ssids( AccessPoint names) in windows possible reason

1. wps is switched on in router
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup
2. http://superuser.com/questions/294904/w ... -ssid?rq=1

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_1tjLs9uw4

4. you have Multiple APs function enabled in router settings

spoiler
i think the youtube video will fix the problem tiny clue hidden :mrgreen:
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Does the router have auto channel hopping, and windoze just remembering where the 'hidden ssid' was when it previously saw it? I don't recommend turning off ssid broadcasting since it adds no security and the only person it hides your network from is your dumb neighbour who may then setup his new router on your channel!
pkguy
Novice
Novice

Post by pkguy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Ensure that you have disabled multiple SSIDs, Guest network / SSID in router.
Check how many networks appear on a smartphone or some other device which is not a computer.
Then clean windows networks list and Change your network SSID as well as channel and add it again.