Wireless rate limiting on RT AR7WRD v2.97 Netgear (DG834Gv2)

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
rtyuiop
Novice
Novice

Wireless rate limiting on RT AR7WRD v2.97 Netgear (DG834Gv2)

Post by rtyuiop » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm using RT AR7WRD v2.97 on my Netgear DG834G v2, and I'd like to rate limit the wireless connection speed to anything less than 54Mbps. I've tried changing the parameters in "Wireless/Hairy Configuration" but the status page ("Wireless/Managament/Associated Stations") always shows 54Mbps for every associated client.

Does anyone know whether there is any way to remove some of the available rates? My current configuration has "Rate Adaption Algorithm" unchecked, 6M and 9M legacy and extended rates marked with a "Y", all other legacy and extended rates marked with a "N" but the status page shows 54Mbps for every client.

Many thanks. With kind regards, Jaime
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Wireless rate limiting on RT AR7WRD v2.97 Netgear (DG834

Post by thechief » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Read about rshaper and netshaper in the firmware documentation.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
rtyuiop
Novice
Novice

Re: Wireless rate limiting on RT AR7WRD v2.97 Netgear (DG834

Post by rtyuiop » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Thank you for the pointers, thechief, but unfortunately rshaper and netshaper won't help me. My problem isn't to do with limiting wireless throughput, it's actually to do with transmission rate selection. Basically, due to the distances of some of my clients, I get a high packet loss rate at higher transmission speeds such as 54 Mbps. Having seen the configuration page, I thought that I could disable the higher rates but so far the selections that I've made don't appear to be having any effect (even with only 6Mbps selected, I can get download speeds of 700KBps with nearby clients so clearly I'm missing something somewhere).

Do you know of any information regarding the rate options on the "Wireless/Hairy Configuration" page (as in what are they supposed to do)?

Many thanks, Jaime
mrCharlesZedge

-

Post by mrCharlesZedge » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:41 pm

Good morning all....
Am looking for assitance in configuring my Netgear WNDR3700 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router with my new tickona connection ... hope someone could help me in doing it ....