How to troubleshoot slow wifi connection? (TP-Link TR-1043N)

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
thebiglabowski

How to troubleshoot slow wifi connection? (TP-Link TR-1043N)

Post by thebiglabowski » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi All,

I'm having some issues with wifi on my router. Using http://speedof.me, I get up/down speeds of 10Mbps/9Mbps wired, but ~.4 Mbps wireless. This is consistent across 4 wireless devices (phone, tablet, 2 laptops).

Pinging sites like Google over wifi yield pings of ~300-1000 ms. Pinging the router itself gives 30-100ms. The router is set to 20MHz, 300mbps, 23db, mixed (b/g/n), and enabling/disabling security appears to have no effect.

Any tips for how to troubleshoot whether the issue is the router hardware, router settings, or if it's just perhaps a weak cable connection + wifi makes it worse = 10Mbps->.4Mbps?

Thanks in advance!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: How to troubleshoot slow wifi connection? (TP-Link TR-10

Post by thechief » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 pm

How far from the router are you? Are there any walls in between? Any interferences? (you would be surprised how many things can interfere). What channel is the router using? Is that channel clogged by routers from your neighbours? Have you tried changing channels? Have you used any wifi diagnostic tools?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
thebiglabowski

Post by thebiglabowski » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:52 pm

thanks for the reply!
All tests are done right next to the router and I haven't run any Wi-Fi diagnostic tools, although the router is running dd-wrt which tells me the signal to noise ratio is .7 and signal strength is 90%.

what Wi-Fi diagnostic tools would you suggest and what do you learn from them?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:55 pm

On Windows, try NetStumbler. It will show you all APs within range, their channel number, the signal to noise ratio, etc. On Android, try WiTuners. Should give you similar info.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Or on Linux (as root)

Code: Select all

iwlist scan
:)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!