New network, devices can connect but no internet

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
LB25

New network, devices can connect but no internet

Post by LB25 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I've googled like mad and found no solution! I'm not the best with technology but I've always been able to set up home networks in the past without trouble. I'm apologizing in advanced for my basic terminology: I have a modem from comcast, and attempted to connect it to a router (TP-LINK TL-WR720N) using my laptop. Seemed to have worked alright, I unplug my laptop and am able to surf wirelessly no problem. Then I try connecting with my other devices (iphone, roku, and chromecast). All devices see the network, and 'connect' to the network. But my iphone cant pull up things like netflix and pandora, saying there is no internet connection, and will not work until I shut the wifi off. The chromecast is listed as offline when I try to cast to it from my laptop. The roku just tells me there's an error and wont play anything. I am so frustrated I have tried everything I can think of. I've restarted everything many times, I've reset the router, I've re-set up the network, I've tried making the network secure and unsecure. My router software is showing these devices as connected, sending and receiving packets just fine. I've made sure MAC filtering is disabled, firewall is disabled, DHCP is enabled and UPnP is enabled. For the love of god I do not understand!!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: New network, devices can connect but no internet

Post by thechief » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:36 am

I am not a networking guru, but the obvious question is which device is handling dhcp?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.