Question on Range Extender

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
abhishes

Question on Range Extender

Post by abhishes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:00 am

I am staying in a hotel which has an open WiFi connection. When I connect my laptop to the WiFi network it opens the browser and asks me to accept the terms and enter a key and then I am able to browse freely.

However I want to connect to the internet via my WiFi router. The reason for this is that I am running virtual machines which must have fixed IP address.

So I configured my WiFi Router to connect to hotel network and I can see that the WiFi router has obtained correct IP address, subnet mask, gateway, dns server, alternate dns server, connectin type etc.

Then I connect my laptop to the my WiFi network (rather than directly to the hotel network).

My hope was that I will connect my laptop to my WiFi router and then the router would connect to the hotel network.

This way all my VMs would keep their IP address settings because those are given by my router and not the hotel network. Otherwise I will have to go and change the IP settings of all the VMs.

So when I connect my laptop to my network and try to browse. It just says "Unable to connect to the internet"

I can see that my router got the right settings ... but perhaps the only thing which is missing is that my router cannot go to that web page and accept terms and enter that hotel key.

Is it possible that I am able to connect to the hotel internet via my router? Or should I give up and reconfigure the networking on all my VMs to connect to hotel internet?

Please help!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Question on Range Extender

Post by thechief » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:42 am

I don't think you can do it (unless your router has an embedded web browser - e.g., lynx). Even if you could do it, you would probably be violating the hotel's terms and conditions.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
abhishes

Re: Question on Range Extender

Post by abhishes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 pm

OK. so if I change my laptops IP settings to DHCP and then connect to my wifi router. then everything works. when I try to browse google, it brings up the hotel page and I can enter the key and can browse the web via my router.

But the problem is that I don't want my laptops IP address to change because then all my VMs cannot connect back to my laptop.

I wonder why does the hotel network insist on DHCP.

I am not violating the terms and conditions because I am here to take a training and the VMs provided by the instructor require fixed IPs.