Help please (2 routers, or selecting right one)

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
arcanis411

Help please (2 routers, or selecting right one)

Post by arcanis411 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:44 am

I current have an Asus N65U (essentially same as http://www.amazon.com/RT-N65U-Dual-Band ... words=n65u)

Sprint sent me a free RT-AC66U (http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-Ban ... words=Ac66). Except it was labeled as ASUSWIFICO and has a sprint label on it (pretty sure they are essentially the same).

So from what it looks like is the N65U is slower and has much less range, but the AC66u has way less features (port forwarding, VPN, IVP, all nonexistent).

So i need VPN and port forwarding. So here are my questions:

1. Am I right about the classification between these 2 types (one faster and one better features).
2. Am I right that the AC series is missing VPN and the boatload of features I use?
3. Would I notice a difference between AC band and N band? (I no longer game, but may again in the near future).
4. If I wanted both speed and VPN and port forwarding is it feasible to hook up both routers in series? If so then what is the configuration?

Thank you so much!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Help please (2 routers, or selecting right one)

Post by thechief » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:17 pm

The features depend on the firmware. If you want more features than the stock firmware will support, then you need a good custom firmware (e.g., Merlin or Tomato).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Martyn
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: Help please (2 routers, or selecting right one)

Post by Martyn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:38 pm

The ac66u has the same features as the 65. It looks as though Sprint have put customised firmware on their machines
Mugwump's Origo Repair CD