Wireless router kept in a metal rack.

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
SmithW

Wireless router kept in a metal rack.

Post by SmithW » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Hey! Just a concern about a wireless router being kept in a metal rack. I own an Asus dual band router named RT-N66U. It's kept in a custom made sheet metal rack at my office. I think the wireless signal from the router is not at the maximum efficiency the router offers to provide. It's just my thought. Will something like that happen if the router is kept in a metal rack? If then can I do anything to improve the signal quality?
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Wireless router kept in a metal rack.

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 am

Hi, yes your wireless signal will be degraded by the metal cabinet. Best option would be to take the router out. If that is not possible then look into aerials that could be mounted outside the cabinet. Or a wifi extender.
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
SmithW

Post by SmithW » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks Alan. I may consider an extender then. But I have also heard about something called high gain antennas for my router. Do you think they will help?
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Possibly, but the metal box will still be shielding the signal.
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!