Hide SSID

Specific forum for all wireless related issues. Even if you have a wireless router, only post here if you have a question about issues with the wireless functionality of it. Questions about wireless access points, cards, hot-spots etc. are also welcome here.
fishy

Hide SSID

Post by fishy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi

Is it possible to hide the SSID and let Windows XP configure the wireless card, as each time I tick “Hidden SSID” on the router I loose wireless connection. I think that I have read somewhere XP doesn’t allow it, does that mean I have to go back to using the Safecom SWL-54108 driver.

Fishy
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:40 pm

When you hide the SSID on the router, you need to enter it on the wireless PC's connection details before it will connect. Essentially, if it is not entered, then no connection can be made. This is the effect you are seeing I think.

Under XP right click on the wireless network icon on the taskbar, select view wireless networks. On the window that opens select "change the order of preferred networks. Edit the connection details for your network by selecting it and clicking on properties. You must enter the SSID here for it to connect.

In practice I have found it takes longer to detect and connect to the network when the SSID is hidden. This at least is the case with my SWAMR router.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Shouldn't be a problem :)

Go to Start>Settings>Network Connections>

Right click on the wirelss card connection and select "Properties"

From that screen slect the "Wireless Networks" Tab

Tick the box "Use Windows to configure my Wireless Connection"

Click O.K.

EDIT: Two posts that past in the night :lol:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
markybrooknow
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markybrooknow » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Yes it is possible with WInxp setup.
In network connections click on wireless network connection then click on view wireless networks then you will have to manually add the SSID. Click on Add. You will have to enter the SSID and WEP key (if required). Click OK and you should then see the network you just added in the Available networks box. The SSID has to be added manually in order to be seen after you have hidden it with the wireless router.
Last edited by markybrooknow on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:23 pm

Both are relevant actually. Shoto answers the part of the question I missed. i.e. Yes, it is possible to have windows XP config your wireless card whilst having the router hide (or not broadcast) the SSID.

In not broadcasting the SSID, the wireless clients must know it advance ( by having it in the network config as described) before they can connect.

Hope that helps.

Edit :- post crossed again, this time with Markybrook, whose comments arrive at the same point as mine. Just different ways to open the same settings window. Either way should work.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:00 pm

Update:-
If you've connected to the wireles network once already and the settings are stored using winXP, the SSID is stored already

Subsequently changing the router to not broadcast the SSID should not effect wireless clients who have conected previously. They will already have the SSID stored.

It is only need to be entered manually if the SSID is hidden already the first time you connect to the network.

fishy:- Did you get your wireless network to work the way you wanted?
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
fishy

Post by fishy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi

Sorry I haven't repied earlier but all is working OK now, I unhid the SSID and the wireless started to work again straightaway, I then hid the SSID again and it cintinued to work. :D

Fishy
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:56 pm

When you first hide the SSID did you also change it at the same time to something else? That would result in the wireless client not having the SSID from previous connecting.

If this was the case, having changed and hidden the SSID, you could have manually added it to the wireless client. Alternatively, it is easier to unhide it, connect/disconnect wireless client, then hide the SSID again.

Better yet, change the SSID, connect/disconnect any wireless clients, then hide the SSID as a seperate second operation.

Glad you're sorted out anyway.

Out of interest, if you find connectiong to the network now the SSID is hidden, is more difficult. I have found this in the past but have no explaination as to why.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk