Trying to use an Origo 8400 modem with Zen Broadband

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Subjective Effect

Trying to use an Origo 8400 modem with Zen Broadband

Post by Subjective Effect » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:03 am

I've just got Zen broadband (activated on the 18/09/07) but I'm unable to connect with my modem. It's an Origo 8400 and I'm using Windows Vista.

When I try to set up a new connection I get asked (by Vista) for the username and password for PPPoE. I enter this and after a while of trying to connect (about 3minutes) I get the message "Server is not responding".

I've used this Origo modem with Virgin broadband, Homechoice and Karoo in the past with no issues so I know how to connect it up.

Does anyone have any ideas?
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Were you using Vista with the previous ISPs ?
Sounds like Vista is incorrectly configured if it is asking for a password for PPPoE
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Does your new ISP support PPPOE? More seem to be moving towards PPPOA for which you must enter the username/password on the modem.
Subjective Effect

Post by Subjective Effect » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:47 pm

The ISP info actually says it's PPPoA, but I don't know the difference and Vista gives me no option.

I've never used Vista for broadband before.
Martyn
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Martyn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:33 pm

The option shouldn't be in vista. PPPoE/PPPoA settings are done in the router.
it's a long time since I actually used an 8400. But unless somebody beats me to it I'll dig mine out to run through the setup.

(Sorry that I couldn't give a better answer on the Zen forum but I was at work ATT)
Mugwump's Origo Repair CD
Subjective Effect

Post by Subjective Effect » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:54 pm

I've deleted that PPPoE link in Vista.

I'm using the router control panel now. It asks for the username and password for the ISP, reboots and is happy but I cannot access the net from it.

This time I get no error message. In the network display there is just no connection to the net....
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:09 pm

The modem must have been in PPPOE full bridge mode before - then the PPPOE username/password can be entered in the PC. With PPPOA only the modem must be configured as a router or, if it is supported - in my favourite half-bridge mode. In both cases the modem should be running dhcpd and the PC set to auto in its TCP/IP settings.
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:34 am

Double check that you are using PPPoA VCMux VPI=0 VCI=38, you might get a connection with other settings but nothing will work.