Broadband Connection Bleeds off with G640T

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Fozzie Bear
Novice
Novice

Broadband Connection Bleeds off with G640T

Post by Fozzie Bear » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 am

Hi
I have a really strange problem with my DSL connection and my D-Link G640T router. I should start by saying that I have had on going problems with my dsl connection which was one of the reasons I bought the D-Link G640T as it is known for holding on to noisy connections. However since BT changed the DSLAM at the exchange I have had a reasonable connection. My profile is 2114K download and 448k upload according to the BT Speedtest website, however I am at the far extreme for ADSL Max at nearly 5Km from the exchange and I am getting about 1.5Mb down and 400K up.

The issue is that I can browse the internet and send e-mails but as soon as I go to download any large files the connection "bleeds off" to the point where I cannot use IE to browse the net. If I go into the router and disconnect and then reconnect, all is fine again until I try and download files. As I said above according to the BT speed test site I am getting 1516k download speeds so I dont think it is the dsl connection, but wondered if there is a problem with the router itself. I did try downloading PRTG Traffic Grapher to monitor the connection whilst I tried downloading files but the router does not appear to support SNMP!!
Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.
I currently have the latest UK firmware not the Australian version installed.
regards
Fozzie
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 am

Are you using the original firmware ?

The downloads could be filling the routers memory over time - P2P is notorious for this - try limiting the concurrent downloads in your download client.

If your using UPnP try switching that off.
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Pondera
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pondera » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:43 pm

If you refer to DSL-G604T (not DSL-G640T!) the latest D-Link firmware is:

ftp://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/ADSL/DSL-G604T/F ... 071228.zip

or you can install the RouterTech fw or Darkwolf mod that is G604T optimized!
Fozzie Bear
Novice
Novice

Post by Fozzie Bear » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:25 pm

Many thanks for your replies Shotokan101 and Pondera.
Sorry for typo it is a DSL-G604T not 640T

I am using firmware version V1.00B02T02.UK.20050815 which came with the router.
Do you recommend upgrading to the version suggested by Pondera which appears to be 6 months or so newer than the Australian version but also Russian? I have read somwhere that the firmware is generic with the only difference being the default WAN settings but is the interface still in english???
Also I confess I do not know much about the Routertech Firmware or Darkwolf mod. I assume this has been written/modified by contributors to this site but is there benefits of installing "open Souce" firmware over the manufacturers? For example does the Russian and Routertech support SNMP as I currently can't use PRTG Traffic Grapher to monitor bandwidth use with the current firmware.
Also does the Routertech Firmware or Darkwolf mod still support the wireless operation and WPA.
Many thanks
Fozzie
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:32 pm

You can view an online demo of the RT 2.5 F/W here :-

http://routertech.org/demo/2-5/

WPA and SNMP are available - and Wireless functionality should be fine :)

Why not download our RUC utility and run it to see what it says about your router's compatibility ?
Jim

dataman
Novice
Novice

Post by dataman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:05 pm

Would advise against using SNMP as uses a LOT of RAM and quickly brings the router to a halt.
Fozzie Bear
Novice
Novice

Broadband Connection Bleeds off with G604T

Post by Fozzie Bear » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:53 am

Hi,
A quick update on this issue which has now resolved itself, due to no action on my part.
Good old BT must have resolved an issue with the exchange or my ADSL as the problem has now gone away.
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions from RouterTech contributors.
regards
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks for the update Fozzie - glad you're all sorted now :)
Jim