Multiple port forwarding on G604T router

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Fozzie Bear
Novice
Novice

Multiple port forwarding on G604T router

Post by Fozzie Bear » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 am

I have two servers on fixed IP addresses using my ISP allocated block of 8 static IPs. Both servers have seperate websites and ftp sites which to access I need to open certain ports on the G604T router.

However when using the built in rules the router will only allow one rule to each IP address. e.g I cannot assign the same built in ftp rule to both servers. Is this a limitation of the built in rules or a limitation of the router?

For example can I create a custom rule containing the same port range as the built in ftp rule, however despite specifying the IP address of the individual server that I need to access the ftp traffic always goes to the same server, meaning that I cannot specify which server I download from.
I assume that I could specify different ports that one ftp server uses but being non standard this would cause problems for people trying to use ftp software or internet explorer.
Any thoughts on this or ways around it would be appreciated
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:13 am

I suspect the web gui was built around sharing only one external IP address, where you can't forward the same incoming port to multiple destinations. A work around is just to use non-standard ports on your machines.

If you have a block of IP addresses you can run the Router in no-NAT mode. There's a thread around discussing this:- basically you give the router one of the 6 usable external IP addresses and turn off NAT. You give a real external IP addresss to each of your machines and specify the router as their gateway. It does mean that each of your machines is exposed to the internet and needs its own effective firewall.