To upgrade or not DSL-G624T to your Firmware

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
alanedge
Novice
Novice

To upgrade or not DSL-G624T to your Firmware

Post by alanedge » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:40 pm

I've just come across your forum and site and you may have the answers for me. I'm not the greatest mind when it comes to networking so please treat me gently! I have some issues with my DSL-G624T router. It is at the latest Firmware from the D-Link site but I am getting some strange happenings on the Router.

I have 3 PC's attached to it, one of which is linked to a VPN site whilst the others are jsut connected through my ISP to the Internet. In looking at the Status screen it shows me some information when I turn the Router on that it is downstreaming at 1880 Kbps and Upstreaming at 448Kbps but after a while that changes to -1 and -1 Kbps. Also the Firmware Version field gets blanked out as does the Modulation field and Gateway. It looks like it just cannot get at the data from the router. The error log shows a number of 'IOCTL Get HWADDR failed' messages then followed by 'cannot open /proc/net/route', 'cannot open /etc/resolv.conf', 'Unable to open DSL proc entry'.

I'm hoping your firmware to replace the DLink one will fix the problem but before I install it I am trying to follow your guide to run the Router Upgrade Checker. In checking the parts that are needed, I find some files are installed whilst others are not and in a couple of cases there is more than one of the required files loaded!

Trying to run your RUC in debug mode also fails right at the start.

My question really I guess is if I upgrade to your Firmware can I recover to the D-Link firmware if an error occurs? If that is not an issue then I am quite prepared to load it and see as I have nothing fancy set in the router that I cannot recover from, it is basically a bog standard set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please do not assume that I know how to check many of the items you talk about such as finding if a port is available. Many thanks in advance.

Alan :?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm

The D-link errors you report suggest the device has crashed, probably run out of memory. Do any of your 'users' use P2P apps? Severely limiting the number of connections they can make usually helps.

We do not know exactly why web upgrades often do not work on DLink G6x4T routers (my guess is the amount of free memory available), so would not recommend you try this lightly! If you reset to defaults, and reboot without the DSL line connected you should maximise the ram available...

It should always be possible to revert to old firmware, but the process can be traumatic see

viewtopic.php?t=2105

for example. Pretty important to have a backup means of internet access should something go wrong!