Need help in setting up my Netgear DG834GT router

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
PJ36
Novice
Novice

Need help in setting up my Netgear DG834GT router

Post by PJ36 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:28 am

Hi,

need help in setting up my router which is Netgear DG834GT (no idea of version) for Talktalk ISP.

Logged in to the netgear router site using 192.168.0.1 and entered login as normal. Come to the Basic setting and in that entered my talktalk number and username name and password and has it set to get IP from ISP rather than setting it up with an IP.

Then gone into ADSL Setting and selected VPI as 0 and VCI as 38 and the VC-Based.

But no where to select ADSL2+ etc, I am unable to get connected via DG834GT at all so unable to check for firmware updates or anything else.

Eventually will have PC and laptop connected to this netgear router so like to set up an individuals IP for each one and the laptop to be wireless enabled as well but secured connection.

Any help would be grateful, thanks , PJ.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:30 am

You should make sure you can connect with the TalkTalk supplied (free I recall) router first. Other routers do work but do not expect official support if you don't use theie router - plugged in to master phone socket!

There have been reports of older Netgear routers not working, maybe fixed by firmware upgrade. It should be possible to get it to work see this thread on official talktalk support forums, for example.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/s ... php?t=5208
PJ36
Novice
Novice

Post by PJ36 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:47 am

I has never gotten an router from TT itself only the old speedtouch 330 modem, because I has my own router orginally and it works fine using the SART2-4115.

Now got the netgear because of the wireless for my new laptop to be connected, entered the details in the basic and couldnt get connected nowhere to find where to add the modulation as ADSL2+ etc.

I did see that post but it was over my head about DMT tools etc, but he got connected whereas I couldnt as such. hence making a post here!
PJ36
Novice
Novice

Post by PJ36 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 am

So no one can help me?

I tried DMT from TT forum and unable to conect cant determine modemtype!

As I mention used my old router connected all fine but my new router I cant conenct at all full-stop!

HELP!!!!!!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:14 am

Is it a new DG834GT or an ex-sky one? Does it have the latest Netgear firmware?
PJ36
Novice
Novice

Post by PJ36 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 am

It's ok all sorted finally got connected after a firmware update from V1.01.00 to V1.02 or something like that and now works with no details changes!

Go figure eh... As for ex-sky no idea brought it from a cash generator shop for 30 quids was passing by and saw it and snapped it up...

but got connected finally...

Whislt on this, I believe netgear routers is best to get but what model is the best?