Dynamic DNS on DLink DSL-G624T

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Dynamic DNS on DLink DSL-G624T

Post by tasso85 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 am

Hi :D
I have a DSL-G624T Dlink router, and I would like to configure it to work with no-ip.com dynamic dns service (instead of using their update utility). Is it possibile? if so, how can I do it?

thanks for your help!
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:39 am

Is this on the DLink firmware? If so I'm not sure if the location for the option is identicle, even if it exists (which I doubt). On the RT firmware you can set the DDNS through the 'Advanced' menu have a look at the online demo demo/2-5
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:42 am

Yes, I have found that in the RT2.6 firmware :D the thing I'm not sure about is how to configure it... I've filled all fields, but how can I tell if it is working?

EDIT: also, if I associate my ip to an address through DDNS, will people be able to access to my router from outside, or anyway it cannot be accessed from outside the LAN?
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:09 pm

For no-ip :
1) Tick the box DDNS Client
2) Enter your reistered email address as the username
3) Enter the password you've registered aginst that email address for no-ip
4) 'Domain or Group Name' should be the DNS name you've got from no-ip.
5) Apply and Save it. Reboot

To check it works go to Status -> DDNS Update Status and see what it says. You'll also see messages in the system log after a connection is established.

Registering for DDNS will do nothing unless you are forwarding ports or you've enabled the remote web access.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:08 pm

ok, I know how port forwarding works :D but, just for curiosity, how do I enable remote web access to the router?

EDIT: I've found this in the log:

Code: Select all

Aug 14 18:08:46 | Got group error |Bad username/password|
is it related to the DDNS service?

EDIT2: if I go in the DDNS status, under the no-ip option I found this line

what does it mean?
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:06 pm

tasso85 wrote:

Aug 14 18:08:46 | Got group error |Bad username/password|
is it related to the DDNS service?
This is normally a failed login to the router.
tasso85 wrote: EDIT2: if I go in the DDNS status, under the no-ip option I found this line

what does it mean?
It means it's not working :D You should see

From my log

Aug 14 04:58:03 cfgmgr(ddnsclient): DDNS noip: Update Successful ip xx.xx.xx.xx from ppp0
Did you reboot?
—Bill Vaughan
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:02 am

oops! :oops: I forgot to reboot! :oops:

I have rebooted now, and here is what I see in the DDNS status page:

Connection: Alice

DDNS Server: NO-IP

Error Description: None
so I take it is working correctly, simply there was no update to be done, right?

also, in the log:

Jul 23 02:59:58 | DDNS noip: No Change ip xx.xx.xx.xx from ppp0
(IP masked for privacy :P)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:50 am

Yep, looks like it works. Only real way to check is to try it :D :wink:
—Bill Vaughan
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 am

Ok, thank you really much for your help!

And keep up the good work, 'cause RT is a great firmware really!
ezy82

Post by ezy82 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Pay attention that once you change the adsl connection you will need to re-configure the ddns setup again (its a bug like for the web remote administration).

I'll teel you this cause some days ago i loss a night to understand what happened in my network,and the result was this!
Changing the adsl configuration/connection from the first step the router loss the configuration for the ddns and the remote web server port.
Try to believe--!
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: reply

Post by SyBorg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:49 pm

ezy82 wrote:Pay attention that once you change the adsl connection you will need to re-configure the ddns setup again (its a bug like for the web remote administration).

I'll teel you this cause some days ago i loss a night to understand what happened in my network,and the result was this!
Changing the adsl configuration/connection from the first step the router loss the configuration for the ddns and the remote web server port.
Try to believe--!
:?: What firmware version are you running? DDNS works fine for me after every drop of DSL sync. This is both with DYDNS and NO-IP
—Bill Vaughan
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 pm

ezy82, I may have misread your post.

Do you mean when the connection configuration changes due to a loss of sync, or when you change all credentials (eg changing the connection name, userid, password etc)?

How many people change the setup credentials after first set-up?

[EDIT: Corrected even worse spelling than normal]
—Bill Vaughan
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:12 pm

ddns etc are setup for a specific connection - you can have many. If you add a new connection or change from pppoa to pppoe you may change from connection0 to connection1 for example (friendly name shown in GUI) you will have to re-enter ddns as they have separate entries in the config. Not really a bug and won't be changed!
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 pm

mstombs wrote:ddns etc are setup for a specific connection - you can have many. If you add a new connection or change from pppoa to pppoe you may change from connection0 to connection1 for example (friendly name shown in GUI) you will have to re-enter ddns as they have separate entries in the config. Not really a bug and won't be changed!
Yep, but has anyone ever had a router working with more than one connection defined at a time? We've had a few situations were the 'fix' has been to remove the 'quickstart' connection for example.
—Bill Vaughan
boykunk
Novice
Novice

Post by boykunk » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:09 am

hey sy borg
i have everything set up, however, when i type the url in the web browser it comes up with the log in screen for the router and not to my website, why is this?

I am using:
ASUS AAM6010EV-T4
No-IP
Apache 2.2 :cry: