DSL-2640T updated like a charm

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

modulation 0x24ff
That is meaningless. I am not sure how many other ways I can say this.
Modem Modulation Information
NO_MODE 0x0
ADSL_G.dmt 0x2
ADSL_G.lite 0x4
ADSL_G.dmt.bis 0x8
ADSL_G.dmt.bis_DELT 0x9
ADSL_2plus 0x10
ADSL_2plus_DELT 0x11
ADSL_re-adsl 0x20
ADSL_re-adsl_DELT 0x21
ADSL_ANSI_T1.413 0x80
MULTI_MODE 0xff
ADSL_G.dmt.bis_AnxI 0x0
ADSL_G.dmt.bis_AnxJ 0x0
ADSL_G.dmt.bis_AnxM 0x400
ADSL_2plus_AnxI 0x0
ADSL_2plus_AnxJ 0x0
ADSL_2plus_AnxM 0x2000
G.shdsl 0x0
IDSL 0x0
HDSL 0x0
SDSL 0x0
VDSL 0x0
I can't see "0x24ff" in any of these. Therefore, a modulation value of "0x24ff" is meaningless to the modem driver. It will never work while it is set at that value.

Suggestions:
1. Correct the modulation.

2. Try connecting to the router via telnet and run "ping google.com" from the router's command prompt, and let us know what happened.

3. Download DrTcp and run it on your PC to set your system's MTU to something like 1400.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Guantanamo
Novice
Novice

Post by Guantanamo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 pm

To correct the modulation, what should I do else than this way : "upgrade procedure" in upgrade.html, step 3, item 8 (i.e., how to select MULTI_MODE).
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:42 pm

If you followed the instructions for setting multi_mode, then the modulation setting should change automatically. If it doesn't, then it means that attempts to write to the environment have not succeeded. This can happen if the environment is fragmented (which I am fairly certain is the case here, because, as I said, this is a malady that afflicts a lot of DLink routers). Clearly, the current setting of the modulation means something to the DLink firmware's modem driver (I have seen that figure somewhere else). But, unless it is changed to something meaningful to the RT firmware's modem driver, then it won't work.

The real solution to your problem is to defragment your router's environment. That is not easily achieved if you don't have a serial console cable. You can try manually setting the modulation entry in the environment

Code: Select all

setenv modulation 0xff 
/sbin/reboot
And hope for the best.

You still need to try and ping somewhere from a telnet session on the router, so as to ascertain whether the problem is that the router is not getting a WAN connection, or whether the problem is a communication problem between the router and your PC.

Edit: your mtd partitions are very odd. This might itself cause problems, and may be indicative of a problem with the flash memory (at least, there is an issue with how it is currently partitioned - your mtd4 and mtd4 should end in 0x90400000, unless you have an mtd5, which I can't find anywhere in your environment).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Guantanamo
Novice
Novice

Post by Guantanamo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:36 am

Sorry for disturbance again, i have done all that you have suggested to me, but no way at all!! There is another Log, but I think it will not be verry useful!! I like the RT Firmware, but, I think i will be obliged to stay with the original firmware!!
Attachments
RT WebUI Log.rar
Another RT WebUI Log
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:37 am

Yes, you should stick with your manufacturer's firmware. Your router (or, more specifically, its mtd3 partition/environment) is very sick, and, until that is fixed, you will continue to have problems. Your current problems are:
1. There is no modulation variable in your environment
2. "DSL_FEATURE_CNTL_0 0x4000" is back in the environment. If you didn't add it back, something else did (or the environment is so badly fragmented that deleted variables keep reappearing).

Both of these problems are symptomatic of fragmentation/corruption of the mtd3/environment. The real cure, as I have said, is to defragment your environment. Eventually the problems will start to affect your DLink firmware's operation as well.

You might be able to overcome the problems associated with the fragmentation by deleting unneeded variables, and then trying again - but this will only be a temporary cure. You can unset these variables:
dsp_ver
usb_serial
usb_man
usb_prod
eoc_vendor_revision
invntry_vernum
Guantanamo
Novice
Novice

Post by Guantanamo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:27 am

thechief wrote:Both of these problems are symptomatic of fragmentation/corruption of the mtd3/environment. The real cure, as I have said, is to defragment your environment. Eventually the problems will start to affect your DLink firmware's operation as well.
I believe that they already affect the original firmware, with frequent disconnections.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:33 am

Guantanamo wrote:I believe that they already affect the original firmware, with frequent disconnections.
Well, it can only get worse, unfortunately. If you have a serial console cable, you only need boot up to the bootloader command prompt (for psp bootloader) and run "defragenv" (or "fixenv" for the adam2 bootloader). That will cure the problem. In the absence of that, you might have to wait for Neo's forthcoming router repair tool, which should be able to do the same thing.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:01 pm

thechief wrote:you might have to wait for Neo's forthcoming router repair tool, which should be able to do the same thing.
Speaking of which, I have made it available here: viewtopic.php?t=2395 ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Guantanamo
Novice
Novice

Post by Guantanamo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:03 pm

:wellup: My router is bricked, and the bootloader can't be accessed to unbrick it :wellup:

PS : I think "Game Over" !!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Unless you have done something to mtd2, then any bricked router can be unbricked. What did you do to brick it, and how have you tried to unbrick it?
Guantanamo
Novice
Novice

Post by Guantanamo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 pm

After succesful defragmenting with the tool created by neo, i've tryed to upgrade the router firmware to RouterTech, and when i was waintig about 20 min, i've tryed to access by WebUI or telnet, and no way!! Then, I suspected the brick, and i've tryed to unbrick it with the same tool, and this one said me that the bootloader can't be accessed!! That's all!! I think I'm very unlucky at all!!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:07 pm

I would recommend using the wizard if you haven't already tried it - and if you get the same problem, can you post the exact error message and/or log.
Guantanamo
Novice
Novice

Post by Guantanamo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:12 pm

it tell me that i have to initiate a connection with bootloader, but it doesn't work!! I've also determined the static ip, and i have done all that you have mentioned in the guide!! The problem is that it can't access to bootloader!!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Can you post a screenshot of the tool when it encounters the problem?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:07 pm

Guantanamo wrote:it tell me that i have to initiate a connection with bootloader, but it doesn't work!! I've also determined the static ip, and i have done all that you have mentioned in the guide!! The problem is that it can't access to bootloader!!
Common to all the tools, accessing the bootloader works best if your PC has a static IP in the correct range. Neo's tool have been the best so far for me, for other's I used to have to use a hub/switch as well - due to speed of PC+network card I expect.