Help required for Huawei SmartAX880 and Aztech DSL600EU

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
AlterEgo
Novice
Novice

Help required for Huawei SmartAX880 and Aztech DSL600EU

Post by AlterEgo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 am

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use port forwarding on my Home ADSL modem which is connected to Linksys Wireless Router WRTSL54GS (basically acting as a Switch/Access Point). My objective is to reach a desktop PC connected to it as follow :
DSL Modem-->Wireless Router-->Desktop (Wired 100Mbps)
The wireless router is just working as an access point and has the DHCP turned off. The CAT5 wire coming out of the DSL modem is connected to the LAN side of the Linksys (not WAN Internet Port).

I have 2 DSL modems and have tried various settings (both have pros and cons) resultantly I have a couple of queries for which I would appreciate if someone can answer.

1.HUAWEI SmartAX 880

Its the default modem given to me with the DSL connection by my service provider. I have tried configuring port forwarding over it (by following various guides on the internet) in the "Virtual Server" option, but all in vain. Nothing seems to work. I can only reach the WAN (Internet) address of my DSL modem and cannot go beyond it to a specific Desktop PC on port 3389 (basically i am trying to control my home PC with windows remote desktop or VNC).

The firmware on it is pretty old Ver 1.xxx (2004) . I have tried searching over the internet but cannot find any new firmware file for it (maybe its a discontinued product).

If someone has used this modem with a latest firmware, then can you please tell that whetehr the latest firmware has the option to update the dynamic WAN address on DynamicDNS.org. Its called the "DDNS" function usually. I need it cause I obtain a dynamic IP for the DSL everytime it disconnects/reconnects, so I have registered a domain name to reach my modem which is to be updated everytime.

I would appreciate if someone can post a latest firmware link for this modem. Also would like any help from someone who has tried port forwarding in a similar setup.

2. Aztech DSL600EU (with USB)

This is another DSL modem lying with me. I have successfully configured and connected it to my DSL line as well.

However it has the same problem of having an old firmware. I have tried searching everywhere on the internet, even ftp.aztech.com is down where the latest firmwares were hosted. I would appreciate if someone can post a latest firmware link for this modem. Also would like any help from someone who has tried port forwarding in a similar setup.

What are the instructions if I try updating the RouterTech firmware on this unit. I have tried to telnet the modem to know what is the bootloader, but the default user name "Admin" and password "Admin" just doesnt work.

It has the DDNS functionality which work fine and it automatically updates the web address/domain name.

However it has another problem. I cannot find any option in the web configuration interface to allow the VPN Tunnel traffic to pass through. As a result I can never connect to my office VPN from home. I have used internal DHCP of the DSL Modem(s) to assign automatic DHCP address to all my home devices.

Reason being that I connect to my office VPN via secure VPN client secured by PKI infrastructure SmartCard login. I want to know that where is this option buried in the web-interface of Aztech DSL600EU Firmware version 100.2.5. I can find it in the "IP Filters" section and have tried configuring it but it never works. I am not sure it is applied for the LAN client connected to the modem or not.

The same function has an easy option in the Huawei/Linksys Modems & Routers for Allow IPSec / L2TP / PPTP traffic pass through. This would be applied for any incoming LAN client. I believe i cannot assign it on the basis of LAN Client IP since LAN client can have dynamic IP.

Thank you for reading. Infact I have this problem that I cannot use both of the modems since one or more features are missing on any of them.

Would appreciate if you can guide me in detail , as i personally would like to use Aztech DSL600EU only if it easily lets me use the VPN connectivity. The port forwarding is something which is desirable and not essentially needed, would be great if it works too.

Regards,
Myself.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:23 am

The Smartax likely to have ISP specific firmware - not generally available.

If your ISP connection is pppoe would be best to put the modem into bridge mode and use the routing functions of the router - the WRT54SL54GS probably has 4* the ram of a DSL600EU (likely to be RT compatible, try lower case "admin").

You do need to run the RUC as Aztech model No's cover a range of hardware/firmware (new versions can have same name as old).
AlterEgo
Novice
Novice

Post by AlterEgo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:14 pm

OK Well,

Then if you can please guide me for the following :

SmartAX 880

** How to put SmartAX 880 in the bridge mode. When DSL Modem is in bridge mode,

** Do I have to give PPoE as a connection method in the web interface of the Linksys router ?

** After the DSL Modem is in bridge mode, does all options for Port Forwarding and IP Filtering/VPN Passthru have to be set on the Linksys router.

** Where do I have to connect the CAT5 wire coming from the DSL Modem to the Linksys router. In the LAN (one of the 4 ports) or the WAN (Internet)Port.

Aztech DSL600EU

** How to put Aztech DSL600EU in Bridge mode. How to configure VPN (L2tp/PPTp/Ipsec) traffic Passthrough for all LAN clients.

** What added benefit / major feature I get if I flash its firmware with the Router Tech Ver 2.6

Thanks.
Regards.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:00 pm

AlterEgo wrote:OK Well,

Then if you can please guide me for the following :

SmartAX 880

** How to put SmartAX 880 in the bridge mode. When DSL Modem is in bridge mode,
dunno, RTM!
** Do I have to give PPoE as a connection method in the web interface of the Linksys router ?
Yes
** After the DSL Modem is in bridge mode, does all options for Port Forwarding and IP Filtering/VPN Passthru have to be set on the Linksys router.
Yes
** Where do I have to connect the CAT5 wire coming from the DSL Modem to the Linksys router. In the LAN (one of the 4 ports) or the WAN (Internet)Port.
WAN port
Aztech DSL600EU

** How to put Aztech DSL600EU in Bridge mode.
Select bridge mode in connection setup, still need VPI/VCI but username/password need to be entered in Router
How to configure VPN (L2tp/PPTp/Ipsec) traffic Passthrough for all LAN clients.
In the router
** What added benefit / major feature I get if I flash its firmware with the Router Tech Ver 2.6
Sensible to ask - most of the RouterTech features are useful for router mode. In full bridge mode the modem doesn't have direct internet access or a WAN IP so sntp, ddns, dproxy, upnp etc won't work. One potential benefit is the latest atm/dsp drivers and if you enable access to the modem web gui via the router the enhanced stats/ diagnostics the RouterTech GUI gives you.
AlterEgo
Novice
Novice

Post by AlterEgo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Ok,

Well i have managed to upgrade the firmware on my Aztech DSL600EU with Router Tech v.2.6 . It mainly has the same navigational structure which the original firmware had.

I have tried keeping the modem in bridge mode and then setting all options on the Linksys router in PPoE mode, which worked quite smoothly. Thanks for passing me this valuable information. I am able to connect to the VPN in this setup as well.

But well it aint an ideal world, looks like the DDNS client in the Linksys Firmware HyperWRT (the only one I have tried till now) doesn't works as desired. Everytime the connection is reconnected with a new dynamic IP address the linksys DDNS client doesnt updates it to the www.dyndns.org. I googled around for it and seems like its quite a common problem.

This leaves me again exploring the option of having DSL modem as (non-bridged mode) router and gateway. Because the DynDNS client in the RTech Ver 2.6 works correctly everytime there is a change in the WAN IP.

However this options comes with its own share of problems. I cannot get the VPN IPSEC/L2TP traffic pass thru to work in the RTech ver 2.6. How is it configrued.? I am still confused how the web interface regarding the LAN clients in the RT ver 2.6 is working. Do we have to apply IP Filters and rules for each specific LAN IP, i dont think I would like to do this. Cause I can have a random number of dynaimc devices connected to my LAN which can access the VPN functionality. I have tried giving the LAN Group "ANY" the applied filters for IPsec and PPTP. But it also doesnt helps and I cannot connect to my office VPN from home.

Any detailed guidance in this regard shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:40 pm

If you don't use the usb port I understand Tomato has an SL version, and dyndns.com works for me on this (up to V1.19 at least!), can't really help with vpn passthru - I recall Linksys/Hyperwrt have some specific options. Cisco vpn client works fin for me without specific configuration.
AlterEgo
Novice
Novice

Post by AlterEgo » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:02 am

Well,

I do actively use USB port and have a hub attached to it with multiple harddisks. SO i was looking for a better firmware with "USB" support other than HyperWRT Thibor 17c which can also offer the dyndns.com functionality correctly.

================
As far as the VPN pass through in the Linksys/HyperWRT firmware. There are just three radio buttons for "enabled" and "disabled" for each of the IPsec, L2TP, and PPTP traffic options. It easily and effectively works and if enabled there is no problem in connecting to the VPN.
So my objective is to have :

1. Correctly working DynDNS client (not in Linksys/HyperWRT)
2. Correctly working VPN Traffic passthrough (not in AZTech DSL600EU)

I cannot figure it out that how is the VPN enabled in the Router Tech Firmware ver 2.6 in the AZtech DSL600EU. Because I am using DSL Modem as a Gateway(not bridge), reason being the DynDNS client works fine from the RT ver 2.6 Firmware.

Maybe you can guide me as how to use IP Filters for this purpose. I have already tried doing that without success. Even if IP Filters is the way to do that then I dont want to enable/disable VPN Traffic for each LAN IP which I have to first define in the LAN clients option. I am looking for an option to globally allow all VPN traffic to be enabled for all LAN clients.

What could be the solution for it. Maybe a command line string which can be executed from within the RT Ver2.6, because there is an option to run linux commands from inside as well. (DarkStat works this way).

Hope I am much clear now. Thanks for your time and interest to guide me out.