Ethernet + Router Problem -- extremely weird -- please help

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
flohagenbuch

Ethernet + Router Problem -- extremely weird -- please help

Post by flohagenbuch » Fri May 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi guys,

After installing a new D-Link DIR-825 Router at home, I am having an extremely weird problem with one of the computers that I connected to the router through a LAN port. Please note that I am an advanced user, and posting in this forum is kind of a last resort for me. I have tried many different things, but I am stuck now.

After the setup, I had three computers connect successfully to the internet -- one MacBook Air (wireless only), one Sony Vaio (wireless + wired) and one Acer Aspire (wired only). I initially configured the router, which is placed in an office downstairs with the Acer. The problem now remains with a Dell Dimension E520 (wired only), placed in my room one story above the office.

Here is the problem: for some reason, I cant get a good IP address to be assigned to the Dell. You can see below that it is pulling a 169 IP, when it should be a 192.168 one. The routers address is 192.168.0.1. What makes me freak out the most however, is that when I took the computer down to the office and tried using another cable to connect to the router, it worked perfectly.

That made me believe the problem lied in the cable itself, so I exchanged it for a new one. But, no luck... the Dell would still not work. When I tested the Vaio with the same cable the Dell uses upstairs, it would connect flawlessly. The problem must lie somewhere in the configuration of the Ethernet... I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

This is what I tried to do so far:

1. Exchanged all ethernet connectors

2. Exchanged the entire cable for a new one

3. Used two different cables to connect the Dell to the router, downstairs, worked without any problems

4. Updated router firmware and Ethernet driver

The ipconfig is below (all in portuguese, sorry about that).

Thanks guys.

--------------------

Configuração de IP do Windows

Nome do host . . . . . . . . . . . : [removed]
Sufixo DNS primário. . . . . . . . :
Tipo de nó . . . . . . . . . . . . : híbrido
Roteamento de IP ativado . . . . . : não
Proxy WINS ativado . . . . . . . . : não

Adaptador Ethernet Conexão local:

Sufixo DNS específico de conexão . :
Descrição. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562GT 10/100 Network Connecti
on
Endereço Físico. . . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-DE-DF-0C
DHCP Habilitado . . . . . . . . . : Sim
Configuração Automática Habilitada. . : Sim
Endereço IPv6 de link local . . . . . : fe80::8cfa:bc51:4373:b8a%8(Preferenci
al)
Endereço IPv4 de Configuração Automática. . : 169.254.11.138(Preferencial)
Máscara de Sub-rede . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Gateway Padrão . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Servidores DNS . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS em Tcpip . . . . . . . . : Habilitado
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sat May 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Is the cable in question a straight through or crossover cable? Might be that some NIC's can connect to the router using a crossover cable, where a straight through cable would normally be used, and some others will not. i.e the Vaio can, but the Dell not.

A bit of a long shot, but other than than, I'd be looking at physical connection problems with the cables / NIC.

Other than that, when you checked the connection using the vaio, did you bring the cable down stairs or check it with it still running upstairs? i.e can you eliminate any other interference from power cables caused by the routing of the cable?

THIS link stows you how to tell the type of cable by looking at the wire colours.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
flohagenbuch

Post by flohagenbuch » Sat May 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks for your reply.

All cables in question are straight, no crossovers being used. The Vaio would work upstairs, but only after you "diagnosed" the problem through Windows Vista.

Thanks
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:30 am

Try disabling IPV6
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 pm

IPv6 would have been an issue when the Dell was taken downstairs and connected via cable...and worked.

Must be something physical if it will work on one cable but not on the other.

To eliminate setup issues connect the Dell upstairs and boot from a linux live CD. :wink:

p.s. you might want to continue using it. :twisted:
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk