Aztech 605EW PPPoE via Ethernet Port

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
hadimhd

Aztech 605EW PPPoE via Ethernet Port

Post by hadimhd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi,

I had Aztech 605EW with UAE version of firmware which supported PPPoE via ethernet interface. I upgraded it to RT 2.93, I cant find that option in RouteTech firmware.

I tried flashing router with official firmwares, can't get that option back.
Now i am searching all over google for a firmware that supports PPPoE via Ethernet Port.

I can connect to internet by dailing a pppoe frm my computer. But I am not able to get internet on other laptops and my wifi enabled mobile.

If there is anyway to extract a firmware from another router of same model.. i could try that
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Aztech 605EW PPPoE via Ethernet Port

Post by mstombs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:05 am

No progress with PPPoE over Ethernet on RouterTech firmware - have you seen any GPL sourcecode for routers that support this?

If the original firmware allows you can dump the flash mtd blocks and create a replacement firmware using

a) http method as per linux mips see - http://ar7.wikispaces.com/Firmware
b) tftp - see viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1636&view=next
c) JTAG - requires soldering connector onto board and very slow.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 am

hadimhd wrote:I tried flashing router with official firmwares, can't get that option back.
Did you reset to defaults after restoring the official firmware?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
hadimhd

Post by hadimhd » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:41 am

mstombs wrote:No progress with PPPoE over Ethernet on RouterTech firmware - have you seen any GPL sourcecode for routers that support this?

If the original firmware allows you can dump the flash mtd blocks and create a replacement firmware using

a) http method as per linux mips see - http://ar7.wikispaces.com/Firmware
b) tftp - see viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1636&view=next
c) JTAG - requires soldering connector onto board and very slow.
I will try to get a friend's router with working firmware.. maybe i can dump the files.
thechief wrote:
hadimhd wrote:I tried flashing router with official firmwares, can't get that option back.
Did you reset to defaults after restoring the official firmware?
Yes, i tried reset. I think the firmware on the aztech site doesnt support this feature..

I tried on the ISP helpline, no use. I tried sending email to both aztech and ISP for such firmware, no reply yet.
When i search i find many other people with same issue. But i can't find any solution posted. I came across a post in this forum
viewtopic.php?p=39227#p39227
It didn't solve my problem though.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:55 pm

hadimhd wrote:I think the firmware on the aztech site doesnt support this feature.
That would be most unusual, and I find it hard to believe.

In any case, all routers have a reset button at the back. Turn off the router, press the reset button, and keep pressing it, switch on the router again (while still pressing the reset button), and keep pressing it for about 2 minutes. That should do the job.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
hadimhd

Post by hadimhd » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:48 pm

thechief wrote:
hadimhd wrote:I think the firmware on the aztech site doesnt support this feature.
That would be most unusual, and I find it hard to believe.

In any case, all routers have a reset button at the back. Turn off the router, press the reset button, and keep pressing it, switch on the router again (while still pressing the reset button), and keep pressing it for about 2 minutes. That should do the job.
Sorry, i meant the router doesnt support PPPoE via Ethernet feature by default.. Ofcourse it has a reset button and i did it after trying every new firmware..
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Ok, but if the Aztech firmware doesn't support the feature, whose firmware was it that came with the router?
hadimhd

Post by hadimhd » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 pm

thechief wrote:Ok, but if the Aztech firmware doesn't support the feature, whose firmware was it that came with the router?
My router came with Aztech firmware.
My ISP upgraded the firmware when the connection was shifted to fiberoptic (FTTH, GPON) . The new firmware looked alike and even the version was almost same, i dont remember if the numbers after 3rd (.) was different. In another forum i see that its same version. But it had this extra feature.. I can't find that firmware in Aztech.com support section.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 pm

The AR7 firmwares are based on GPL Linux kernel 2.4.17, GPL filesystem and GPL utilities. Both your ISP and Aztech should release the source code to the Linux kernel, filesystem, and utilities that they used to build their firmwares, as required by the GPL. You might want to chase them up on this. That would enable everyone to see exactly what they did to add this feature. If they don't comply, you are free to report them (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html).

In the absence of the source code (and in the absence of a backup of your original firmware - which you really should have done before changing the firmware), it seems to me that you are quite stuck.
hadimhd

Post by hadimhd » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Yeah , i am stuck.

Aztech replied me and gave me link to a firmware. ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/UAE/ADSL/F ... .2-004.zip

I tried flashing it both via PC-Tool and web interface. After flashing and restart all the lights blink and only power and LAN1 light stays on. I am not able to access the router in any interface like telnet, ssh or webinterface.

However, the router came built in with ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/UAE/ADSL/F ... .2-002.zip . I uploaded this firmware to my router again using PC-Tool.

Any ways to extract .img files ?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 pm

hadimhd wrote:Any ways to extract .img files ?
Why would you want to do that?
hadimhd

Post by hadimhd » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:03 pm

thechief wrote:
hadimhd wrote:Any ways to extract .img files ?
Why would you want to do that?
i forgot why i asked that...
hadimhd

Post by hadimhd » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:13 am

Hi,

Thanks for the support. I flashed ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/UAE/ADSL/F ... .2-004.zip firmware according to this guide : http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx ... 374&pgno=1 .

I didn't do the upload set_env script before. With that step the firmware upload was successful.

Everything is working now.

Thanks
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:01 am

I am happy to hear that. However, the setenv scripts shown in that link are only for routers with the Adam2 bootloader, and only for separate image upgrades. Anyone who wishes to upgrade to RouterTech firmwares must not use those scripts.
hadimhd

Post by hadimhd » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:03 pm

thechief wrote:I am happy to hear that. However, the setenv scripts shown in that link are only for routers with the Adam2 bootloader, and only for separate image upgrades. Anyone who wishes to upgrade to RouterTech firmwares must not use those scripts.
I noticed that.. Actually i was little hesitant to run that script. Don't know why this firmware needed that script.