Aztech 605EW PPPoE via Ethernet Port

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
knightmedz

Re: Aztech 605EW PPPoE via Ethernet Port

Post by knightmedz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi thechief, I stumbled upon this thread while I was checking if the routertech firmware supports 'pppoe via ethernet' (my connection setup with the ISP right now). Apparently routertech fw doesn't have it yet but the thing is I'm currently using one of the supported routers (ie. Aztech 605EW) with a firmware that has this capability on. I want to upgrade to routertech firmware for its bandwidth monitoring feature but the lack of 'pppoe via ethernet' support is holding me back. Can I do something to help you out add support to this in the future versions of the firmware? Will an image dump of my current firmware be enough to extract the code and/or figure how it works and add to routertech fw? I'm not sure if this is possible at all but just let me know if I can be of help to get this moving. Thanks.
Attachments
routertech.txt
RUC Log
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
Aztech_605EW.jpg
Current firmware screenshot
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:30 am

The answer is here:
thechief wrote:The AR7 firmwares are based on GPL Linux kernel 2.4.17, GPL filesystem and GPL utilities. Both your ISP and Aztech should release the source code to the Linux kernel, filesystem, and utilities that they used to build their firmwares, as required by the GPL. You might want to chase them up on this. That would enable everyone to see exactly what they did to add this feature. If they don't comply, you are free to report them (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html).
What would help is the GPL source code - not binary firmwares.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
knightmedz

Post by knightmedz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:53 am

thechief wrote:The answer is here:
thechief wrote:The AR7 firmwares are based on GPL Linux kernel 2.4.17, GPL filesystem and GPL utilities. Both your ISP and Aztech should release the source code to the Linux kernel, filesystem, and utilities that they used to build their firmwares, as required by the GPL. You might want to chase them up on this. That would enable everyone to see exactly what they did to add this feature. If they don't comply, you are free to report them (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html).
What would help is the GPL source code - not binary firmwares.
Ok. Sorry didn't fully understand what you said there the first time I read it :( I thought what you need is either the source code or the backup of his original firmware to figure out how they did it. Apparently you're only talking about the solution to restore his original firmware. I guess I have to buy another router then to have bandwidth monitoring. Thanks for the info anyway.

Cheers

Medz
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:01 am

You could always ask Aztech for the source code. That is cheaper, and you are entitled to it under the GPL.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
med7at
Novice
Novice

Post by med7at » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Peace for all,

I'm just flashed my aztech dsl605ew router with routertech to discover the pppoe problem explained in this thread. I read it too late!

It seems that Hadimhd found a solution through the firmware ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/UAE/ADSL/F ... .2-004.zip
But this firmware is not available on the aztech site any more. So, can you please Hadimhd arrange to send me this firmware?

Regarding the pppoe on routertech ... I think openwrt made it in their firmware. I will try to see at their site how they made it but as I'm a beginner in Lnux then I think the routertech developers team can check it better.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Is this it?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DYXUTJLU

To use a LAN port as a WAN port you really need switch driver that support vlans, which I don't think OpenWRT has yet for AR7 chips (it does for Broadcom).
med7at
Novice
Novice

Post by med7at » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:47 am

Thank you very much for the file, I'll try to reflash it back.

one question before I leave your good firmware:

I tried the following command:

tc qdisc add dev ppp0 handle 2000: ingress

And I also got the same "invalid arguments" I previously faced in the aztech original router!!!

How can I add a simple ingress police?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 am

med7at wrote:tc qdisc add dev ppp0 handle 2000: ingress
And I also got the same "invalid arguments" I previously faced in the aztech original router!!!
Not surprising, since all the firmwares are based on TI reference code and core logic. It is likely to be due to options not compiled into "tc" and/or the kernel.
med7at wrote:How can I add a simple ingress police?
Dunno. You could try rebuilding the kernel, and enabling things like "CONFIG_NET_CLS_POLICE", "CONFIG_NET_SCH_INGRESS", and a whole load of other Qos stuff like that. The result, of course, would be a huge kernel, and lots of valuable RAM being eaten up.
med7at
Novice
Novice

Post by med7at » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for explaining. I expected that, it is all about the limited space.

But again I found on the openwrt example for load balancing and filters which means the kernel configuration is opened for these facilities and the kernel still fit inside the 4M flash.

Currently I don't have a linux installed on any pc to try the build process but actually linux is a great OS and I should have a time and money to expermint with it one day.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:40 pm

It will fit in 4mb flash - but the question is whether to fill up RAM with things that will most likely not be needed. Of course, it can all be built as modules - which saves on RAM, but uses even more flash space.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:11 pm

AFAIK OpenWRT doesn't have wireless drivers for the 1350 so that will save plenty of space!

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=20683
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Enabling all these weird and wonderful Qos settings increases firmware sizes by about 24kb, so it is doable for wireless and 4mb-flash non-wireless firmwares- but it is unclear how much extra RAM it would take up. The question is how many people really want to use all the Qos features, and would the RAM trade-off be worth it.
cloud17

Post by cloud17 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:57 am

hey guyz :).. i have the mtd4 dump of 605ew so .. if i flash this to another router will it work properly :S .. thx in advance :) anyone need the bin file plz request
ḉґ@ẕẕḯ ṥḉґї℘т ḱḯḓσ ẘσґк :P
myasirkhan

Post by myasirkhan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:19 pm

hadimhd wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the support. I flashed ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/UAE/ADSL/F ... .2-004.zip firmware according to this guide : http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx ... 374&pgno=1 .

I didn't do the upload set_env script before. With that step the firmware upload was successful.

Everything is working now.

Thanks
Dear hadimhd, I have the exact issue that you had. I have the 002.zip file but I need the 004.zip file that you have mentioned here. Its no longer available on the site that you have given in your post. Can you please send this Firmware DSL605EW 120.83.2-004.zip to me ... It will save me many bucks! :-) Thanks
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 am

You will only find that file on unofficial downloads sites such as the mega** sites (with all the attendant risks of viruses, malware, etc). You might want to search on the Aztech ftp site for other firmware versions that support what you want (if the feature is supported in other versions). See e.g.,
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/SINGAPORE/ADSL/
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/MALAYSIA/ADSL/
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/PHILIPPINES/ADSL/

I guess you will only know by trial and error. Good luck!