Questions about my choice of router

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
UxorialDuck

Questions about my choice of router

Post by UxorialDuck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi,

First up, I am a complete router noob, the one I am using at the moment is a 10 year old Belkin and I have decided I want to change it but I am not sure if the one I have chosen, a SpeedTouch 585v8, does what I want.

Basicly, I am currently using Xilo as my ISP, I found about this site through their forums, currently I have a block of 5 IP's from them, I am looking for a router that is capable of taking that block, and assigning IP's from the pool to devices inside my network. Will the 585v8 be able to do that?

Also, does it enable me to use QoS? So that I can throttle bit-torrent traffic, as an example.

One other thing that I would really like, but not entirely sure if it is even possible, is to get a /64 of IPv6 IP's, from Hurricane Electric, and have the router set up so that I can use the IPv6 addresses from HE rather than the block from Xilo.

I think that is all that I want, if there are any other things I think of I will add to this thread.

Thanks for your help
--Paul