Bridging

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Cyroq

Bridging

Post by Cyroq » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi all,

At the moment my wireless signal is sent by a Cisco WRT160n router, but due the long distance (across the street) the signal is very weak. When it's raining or a Van is standing in de way I get no signal at all. My idea is to bridge this connection with another router, which hopefully picks up the signal if I place it by the window. Now I need some advice: which routers are compatible with the WRT160n?
I bought a WRE54G bridge before, but after hours of trying to make it work it seemed it cán work with a 'n' type router, but not with the WPA2 security (and I can't change that).
Thanks!

NB If the second router also won't pick up a signal, I can place it in the same building as the WRT160n, also at the window. The router should have a strong signal though.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Bridging

Post by thechief » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Sounds like you're looking to do WDS. See this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4620
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks, when I have the router it's a great tut. But I'm actually still looking for a suitable model that fits to my case. Can someone advise me in what type of router to choose? It can be Linksys but any other brand that does the trick is also fine.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 pm

It may be that all you need is a high gain antenna. See this for DIY solutions: http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Funny you mention it, at the moment I have installed a cantenna made from tin cans to receive a stronger signal. This works for the reception of 1 computer, but my other computers and consoles still have a bad connection. I can't create a dish/cantenna for the router because it's in my landlord's house, that's why I need to bridge it.
This brings me to another solution: I can connect a router to my cantenna-computer to distribute a new wireless network. But again: which router should I buy?
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:28 pm

You could try one of these

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging.htm

I have used the NET-EL-EOC1650 and it works very well.

The guys at Solwise are very helpful if you wish to discus your requirements with them.
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
Cyroq

Post by Cyroq » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:49 am

Those seem to be powerful bridges! But I prefer a 'normal' router, in case I move to another place (so I can use it as a normal wireless router, not a bridge).
Is it possible to use a Linksys WRT54GL as a bridge in combination with a WRT160n sending in WPA2? I've read that it's possible to flash this router to get more options (and even pump up the signal strength!).
Sorry for my many questions, I bought the wrong equipment too many times so I want to do it right this time ;)
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 pm

The NET-EL-EOC1650 can be used as a router!
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!