Slow internet when I use my router

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
staypuft13

Slow internet when I use my router

Post by staypuft13 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Hello everyone. I was browsing through the fourms and I could not find any similar issues likes mine, so I am hoping you all can enlighten me. I am pretty computer savvy, but setting up a network is my bane! I have road runner at the house and if I run my cat-5e cable from the modem straight to my PC, my speed ranges from 5 to 15 mbps (depending on the time of day and the load). However, once I hook up my wireless router, it is a completely different story. My WAN speed drops down to .5 mbps. Same PC, just the difference is the router. I was using a Asus RT-N12 (both with the latest ASUS firmware and I even loaded DD-WRT) and though that it may have been an issue with the router itself. I picked up a TRENDnet TEW-639GR as a replacement and after I hooked it up, it was the same issue. If two different brand routers are having the same issue, I would rule out that they were both defective. Therefore, there has to be a setting that I have not changed yet. Below is a list of what I have changed already, but to no avail…

o Updated firmware on both routers

o Tried both QoS enabled and disabled

o Released by IP from the router, and renewed

o Power cycled both the cable modem and the routers. I even went so far as to disconnect the power and coax cable from the modem and let it sit for nearly an hour.

o Replaced the cat-5 cable going from the modem to the router

The only thing I have not tried yet (that I can think of) is disable the NAT firewall on the router…and that’s because I cannot find out how to do that. Besides those few ideas, I am at a complete loss. Right now, my PC is hooked straight up to the cable modem but I have four total PCs in the house, plus an 360. My poor wife cannot play World of Warcraft until I get this resolved. Thanks!