QoS on the GWART2-54125

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Gzero
Regular
Regular

QoS on the GWART2-54125

Post by Gzero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:00 pm

How do I know its working properly, one better question, when I set it up,
I tried to cheat, instead of setting an address of a computer, I used the range instead 192.168.0.0, but it occured to me, that the router is in that range.
But do I really have to go through the process of setting up each pc to have a static ip (wont take me long, theres on 3 to do).
Heres a screen shot of what my ping looks like atm with my settings:

Is it going to get any better than that (for gaming I mean)?
Oh and my aim is to improve the pinging whilst something like downloading or web browsing is going on. Ping>max speed download.
CropRotation
Regular
Regular

Post by CropRotation » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi there, Try the instructions on the following link and see if it works for you.

http://safecom.cn/code/product/adsl/SWA ... p-QOS.html
Gzero
Regular
Regular

Post by Gzero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:15 pm

I did it without using that, but thats basicly what I did, before I had read that. But as I explained earlier, I didnt use a pc ip as the source I used a range in an attempt to save time lol. Oh and I am using RT's firmware. I am just interested is it vital that the ip is a static one and must use a static one if it is to work?
(As usual those guides do little to explain how their system works, just tells you what to do in a single scenario) :(
CropRotation
Regular
Regular

Post by CropRotation » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:34 pm

Definitely you need a fixed IP from the router on your computers andl the guide shows how to assign a fixed IP from the DHCP Server of the router to your computer.

The fixed IP is mandatory because when you are setting up bandwidth management on your router, you need to specify the destination IP which points to a computer. So If you have the following computers

1)Fred with a dynamic IP of 192.168.1.5 at the time of setting bandwidth

2)Sally with a dyanmic IP of 192.168.1.8 at the time of setting bandwidth

and

3)Peter with a dynamic IP of 192.168.1.10 at the time of setting bandwidth

Now next day when you turn on your computers and the router may assign the computers with different IPs than those. Then your set up will not work as intended.

I hope it clarify the confusion in your mind if not post back and I will try explain further. :)
Gzero
Regular
Regular

Post by Gzero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:56 pm

Thanks. I wish they just kept it simple, mainly because I dont actually care which pc on my network has certain rules, I just wanted certain ports to have priority over the hoggers such as http and anything else that is demanding :(
Joy so now I'm going to have to go play with the router everytime I get a new pc (I know its not that often, but I'm worried if I will be able to carry over these settings into the new firmware that will be released soon.)
And I thought that if you set it to 192.168.0.0 would set it for every pc that is in that 192.168.0.x address?

Oh and should I have it set to work both ways? Or only upload?
It seems like common sense to do it for download as well, but I'm not even sure how this thing works, last time I checked, routers of thise calibre with the QoS were called gaming routers and cost x2 to x3 more lol.
CropRotation
Regular
Regular

Post by CropRotation » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:10 pm

Gzero wrote:Thanks
And I thought that if you set it to 192.168.0.0 would set it for every pc that is in that 192.168.0.x address?
You are welcome. Well I am afraid that is not the case and you have to assign fixed IPs to your computers no matter whatever is your intention regarding bandwidth.
Gzero
Regular
Regular

Post by Gzero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:33 pm

Well if thats the case, I might as well get the hammer out for this disobedience from the router :D
Well I have rebooted and I am going to give it a shot ingame.
Does it give a large boost? I ticked normal service rather than select the minimise delay.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:42 pm

Gzero wrote:Joy so now I'm going to have to go play with the router everytime I get a new pc (I know its not that often, but I'm worried if I will be able to carry over these settings into the new firmware that will be released soon.)
You should be able to backup your config and then restore it after any firmware upgrade ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:55 pm

Neo wrote:
Gzero wrote:Joy so now I'm going to have to go play with the router everytime I get a new pc (I know its not that often, but I'm worried if I will be able to carry over these settings into the new firmware that will be released soon.)
You should be able to backup your config and then restore it after any firmware upgrade ;)
If he uses the config tool. Some things will change in the default config that will be broken by restoring a saved config. The only safe way is to use the config tool.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Gzero
Regular
Regular

Post by Gzero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:04 pm

Theres a config tool? Linky. Cheers.
Well I have set the settings, but I dont think I am seeing any improvement, waste of router memory?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:12 pm

Gzero wrote:Theres a config tool? Linky. Cheers.
viewtopic.php?t=285
Gzero wrote:Well I have set the settings, but I dont think I am seeing any improvement, waste of router memory?
Hmm ... what exactly were you expecting?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Gzero
Regular
Regular

Post by Gzero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Some improvement, in quality for online gaming wise. I'm just trying to find a solution rather than run around the house when my gaming is spoilt by someone in the house hold inducing the dreaded lag. lol
I've seen reviews were some routers (for instance this one: [Dlink router)
I mean I'm not expecting that level performance from a router that costs half the price, but was just crossing my fingers :)
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:55 pm

Perhaps try again with the "Minimise Delay" settings...... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:06 pm

Hmm ... the DLink is a "gaming" router. Probably has lots of ram, a faster cpu, etc. It is worth pointing out however that these AR7* routers have a pretty nippy cpu (which actually runs quite hot). But RAM is likely a limiting factor for excellent gaming experience.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:24 pm

Don't really see why running a single game should need additional ram once the game server has been selected :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....