Yet another SWART2 related problem

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Quiksliver

Yet another SWART2 related problem

Post by Quiksliver » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:20 pm

Sorry if this exact same problem has been brought up before, if so please direct me to that thread.

Basically, I had a SWAMR router and that completely bust so a replacement was sent in the form of a SWART2-54125. This works so far as it connects to the internet, but there are several confusing problems with it...

Windows live messenger will not connect; it runs its troubleshooter and comes up all green ticks saying nothings wrong. Also can't log into hotmail and various other pages such as myspace account and some, but not all, forum log ins.

Now this is the confusing thing because both Skype and old normal Windows Messenger work fine as well as most websites. And when I switch to using the usb router provided by tiscali everything works fine.

I would ask the Safecom boys about this but past experience has shown them to be more than slightly useless;)

Any ideas guys?
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:18 pm

It could be an MTU issue; not being able to access certain sites and similar issues are often caused by incorrect MTU settings. What do you have your PC/Router MTU set to?
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Quiksliver

Post by Quiksliver » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 pm

MTUs set to 1500, as suggested by my ISP tiscali.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:14 pm

Any firewall software and/or AV software active on the PC ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Quiksliver

Post by Quiksliver » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:17 pm

I use AVG but I'm pretty sure that's not causing the problem as everythings fine when using the other router.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:49 pm

How is the PC connected ? Ethernet or Wireless ?

Remember MTU etc. is specific to each Network Interface on the PC :?
Jim

Quiksliver

Post by Quiksliver » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:32 am

Ah right yeh, it's connected by wireless but I have tried it through the ethernet cable as well and had the same results.
neilius
Regular
Regular

Post by neilius » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:21 am

With MSN/Live Messenger they could be hanging due to dodgy UPnP on the router, so try disabling UPnP via the web interface to see if that has any effect.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:35 am

Quiksliver wrote:Ah right yeh, it's connected by wireless but I have tried it through the ethernet cable as well and had the same results.
O.K. so you've yot both the router MTU and the PC MTU set to 1500 and you're still getting the problem - except when connected by the USB ADSL Modem ?
Jim

biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:25 pm

Did you have any connection problems with the SWAMR before it 'bust' ?
apart from the housing the SWAMR and SWART2 ( and GWART2 rebadge for ebuyer ) are the same router (except the supplied firmware will be newer on the SWART2).

Check that all 'web filters' on the router are set to disabled ( should be by default )
Did notice someone on the safecom forum has them enabled which will block cookies etc. which will prevent access to 'secure' sites and MSN etc.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Quiksliver

Post by Quiksliver » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:43 am

The router MTU is set to 1500; I'm not sure how to check the PC MTU though. I have tried all three ways of connecting my PC to the router and they all have same results. When I use the alternative router I have everything works fine but that is just a USB speedtouch not a wireless.

The SWAMR first started playing up after tiscali were fixing some problems with the lines in the area. I called them and they said everything was fine with the line afterwards. After a while the router just plain wasn't picking up ADSL at all but when we used the tiscali USB router everything worked fine.

I sent the SWAMR back to ebuyer and got a SWART to replace it. I have tried installing updated firmware on the SWART and none of the web filters are turned on.

I cannot remember if I tried turning uPNP off and am not near my computer at the moment, will check that next time I get a chance.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:01 am

Try this excellent site for a guide to setting your PC MTU values - and don't forget to set both the ethernet and wired NIC to these values :-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak2.htm

:)
Jim

Quiksliver

Post by Quiksliver » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Thanks guys, I fiddled with the MTU values like you suggested and eventually found a winning combination. Now, not only does the whole internet now work, but the connection is significantly faster and more stable.

Cheers to all.